Seahorses vs. Pipefish! Which do you prefer?

Seahorses vs. Pipefish! Which do you prefer?

  • Seahorses!

    Votes: 47 43.9%
  • Pipefish!

    Votes: 32 29.9%
  • This is too hard!

    Votes: 28 26.2%

  • Total voters
    107

AlyciaMarie

Official R2R Hype Girl
View Badges
Joined
Feb 12, 2024
Messages
5,776
Reaction score
15,476
Location
Chattanooga
What state or country do you live in
Georgia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This week's face-off is between two delicate fish that require an experienced reefer to keep them thriving. These two mellow and beautiful creatures add uniqueness to every reef they inhabit!

Seahorses vs. Pipefish! Which do you prefer?

Versus-18.png
​
 
I would chose pipefish. I've heard seahorses are difficult to keep, plus I like the look of pipefish more!
 
I have had and loved both and they each have their pros and cons. I found captive bred banded pipefish from ocean rider to be fairly hardy in comparison to seahorses. Their pipefish are trained to eat frozen mysis so are pretty easy to feed. However their lifespans seem to be about half of the captive bred erectus seahorses. Also they were not interactive with me like the seahorses were. In my opinion there is not a fish as charming and sweet as a seahorse, which was why I voted for seahorses.
Seahorses and pipefish both need excellent water quality in terms of pathogenic bacteria. There are not test kits to test for vibrio. The keeper just has to do due diligence and faithfully do large water changes and use an oversized skimmer. Also all detritus must be vacuumed up and leftover food must be removed. I feel seahorses are a little more vulnerable to bacterial infections.
 
Leafy Sea Dragons!


Indeed they are the coolest creature. Last I heard, even Ocean Rider had not had luck in producing captive bred leafy sea dragons. They were able to provide an environment that allowed them to mate but the males could not carry the eggs long enough to produce fry. The hypothesis was that something was lacking in nutrition.
 
A person does not have to choose between seahorses and pipefish. They are compatible with each other, especially if you buy them captive bred from the same source.
20150206_141626.jpg
 
Would love a seahorse tank, but the tank dimensions and setup seem daunting. Not to mention the care they require. Anyone have any good articles to read up on?
 
Love my northern pipefish. Not as colorful as the other pipes but a very hardy fish.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new