Seahorses?

Carmal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really love seahorses and I am wondering if they would be fine in around a 30 gallon. I’m sorta new though. Are they easy or hard?

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved this to the seahorse forum. Take a look at some of the sticky threads in this section. You'll find taking care of seahorses is quite different.

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easy or hard is only determined by the individual considering the designation. Some will say one but others will say the opposite.
IMO, it's not something to be taken lightly though as seahorses have very specific needs compared to other marine fish.
You aren't going to learn all you need in one thread though so start with the information here and then just to get other perspectives, you can go to Tami's site https://fusedjaw.com/ and check out the Article Categories. You can also go to http://seahorsesource.com/?page_id=781 which is Dan Underwood's site and he is probably the best known and most helpful breeder I've come across in my 15 or so years with seahorses.
In addition to these there are Facebook pages but I find them frustrating because it's so hard to find anything other than recent postings. Might just be because I'm old and not too computer literate.
A 30g tank would be suitable for just one pair of standard sized seahorses and if you can add a sump to the set up it will make it much more forgiving.
Best additional item to add would be a quality protein skimmer that is rated for a minimum of 3 or 4 times actual tank volume.

OP
OP
Carmal

Carmal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easy or hard is only determined by the individual considering the designation. Some will say one but others will say the opposite.
IMO, it's not something to be taken lightly though as seahorses have very specific needs compared to other marine fish.
You aren't going to learn all you need in one thread though so start with the information here and then just to get other perspectives, you can go to Tami's site https://fusedjaw.com/ and check out the Article Categories. You can also go to http://seahorsesource.com/?page_id=781 which is Dan Underwood's site and he is probably the best known and most helpful breeder I've come across in my 15 or so years with seahorses.
In addition to these there are Facebook pages but I find them frustrating because it's so hard to find anything other than recent postings. Might just be because I'm old and not too computer literate.
A 30g tank would be suitable for just one pair of standard sized seahorses and if you can add a sump to the set up it will make it much more forgiving.
Best additional item to add would be a quality protein skimmer that is rated for a minimum of 3 or 4 times actual tank volume.

Ok thanks, so what I’m getting from this is that They are different and for some people can be hard and some can be easy and that I need to do more research, correct?

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks, so what I’m getting from this is that They are different and for some people can be hard and some can be easy and that I need to do more research, correct?
Yep, research.
Email seahorse.com, it's the Ocean Rider facility in HI. They have a free course on seahorse care they will send you with no obligation to buy anything from them.
I got access to the course but a seahorse tank was vetoed before I started it [emoji849]

OP
OP
Carmal

Carmal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, research.
Email seahorse.com, it's the Ocean Rider facility in HI. They have a free course on seahorse care they will send you with no obligation to buy anything from them.
I got access to the course but a seahorse tank was vetoed before I started it [emoji849]

Ok thanks! I’ll check it out! Is it an online course thing?

OP
OP
Carmal

Carmal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you had experience keeping seahorses? If so, how did it go? Your first attempt?

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks! I’ll check it out! Is it an online course thing?
My wife said no to a seahorse tank so I haven't kept them. Ocean rider will send you a pdf with tons of info, they just ask that you don't share it.

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When the time comes, be sure to check out the seahorses available at seahorsesource.com as there is no better place to buy from, and, Dan Underwood is EXTREMELY helpful to us in the hobby. His pricing is better than many recognized breeders although more expensive than the foreign imports that have a poor survival record.
Unfortunately for me though, I'm in Canada and unable to buy from him, but he STILL has taken the time to help me often over the last decade plus.

Kjimartin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really love seahorses and I am wondering if they would be fine in around a 30 gallon. I’m sorta new though. Are they easy or hard?
They are not difficult if you read up on their care. Dan Underwood at Seahorse Source is awesome. I have learned so much from him and Facebook pages. I have 5 seahorses from him right now and over 40 fry over 2 months.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seahorses and they are charming pets. They are not hard if you pay attention to their needs and do the husbandry and water changes necessary to keep bacterial issues in check. They are not like other fish however and it is important to learn all you can so you are prepared to meet their specific needs.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back