Seahorses

Wilsonbem

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok,I know the general trend is that seahorses are kept in their own special aquarium mainly due to their feeding habits.
40 years ago I lived in netherlands and marine keeping was a new hobby, no Google or Internet for advice just tatty books. I decided to invest in a marine tank... 3ft x2ft x2ft... to cut a long story short I was keen to include seahorses in with tangs, angels and much more. I had success and failures but cannot remember if the success was with the large 10inch seahorse or the usual 3 inch or less that you tend to come across today. I just know i kept 2 for a couple of years be it the large or small variety in a fully populated tank. I may have spot fed them I cannot remember but they thrived. Now we are told they are to be kept in a specialty tank. Is this true

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the main reason is that they are poor swimmers, most of us have reef tanks with high flow, they cannot swim in this. They are from lagoons with no flow, not from coral reefs. Also, the corals can sting the seahorse tails that kind of "drags" behind them as they swim. And also the diet is a challenge, but not as hard as it was decades ago, since now there are frozen cyclops and can o cyclops and stuff like this. Besides that, they are just gorgeous animals that deserve their own tank

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 40.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 35.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back