Seapora 60 Gallon Frag Tank Build

Tihsho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!

Finally have a chance to put together a build thread. So a little back end on this, I've been out of the hobby for about 12 years and just got back into it since the Misses and I went snorkeling on our vacation at the beginning of this year in Haiti.

Since I had converted a utility room in my new home into a room dedicated for freshwater breeding projects and aquatic plant propagation, she asked if we could delve into the reef side of things as they are 'prettier', so with a little discussion we ended up setting up a 20L frag and invert QT and a 15 gallon fish QT while we waited on our new Cobalt C-Vue 40 AIO to cycle. Since then we've been collecting frags and going through a 76 day QT for them as well as a 30 day QT with preventative meds for any fish coming in. Least to say, the frag QT has gotten a little overstocked and continues to be added to.

One trip to the LFS set the frag tank over the edge, I went and picked up a birdsnest that had been sitting around for a while and when the LFS employee went to bag it, it slipped from his hand and hit the edge of the tank shattering it into a bunch of pieces. He kept apologizing since it was the only one they had and when I asked what they were going to do with it and he responded "well no one is going to want it, so we are probably just going to get rid of it" I had to stop him and ask him to proceed bagging it up. As you can tell here, this LFS doesn't specialize in coral, they just somehow seem to keep them alive to sell. Once he had it all bagged up he said "since you were after the piece the way it was and it's now all shattered, we won't charge you for it." Needless to say the what was once a baseball sized birdsnest turned into 20 or so frag plugs. At this point I realized that the frag tank needed expanding...

So after about 2 months of trying to scour my home state and then onto bordering states for a Deep Blue 60 gallon, I almost gave up to just go get a 40 breeder and call it a day. Then come to find out, Deep Blue is going through some motions and may not be a company much longer. From there I started to talk shop with the more reputable LFS's about frag tanks and they all referred me to either Deep Blue and waiting for months or going with a ZooMed Low Boy. Needless to say the Low Boy was too low and time wasn't on my side. Hours were spent scouring the web for non custom tanks and then while looking for some lids for my Seapora cubes I stumbled on their stock listing for frag tanks! From there I took the manufacturer UPC to my LFS and they talked to their distributor and what do you know... Now I have one showing up hopefully today or tomorrow to be picked up!

Here is what I'll be working with:

56024.jpg

The dimensions are 48x24x12 and it's already drilled and has a corner overflow like the Deep Blue's. From what I've seen in comparison of one of my FW Deep Blue Cubes vs my Seapora cubes are the glass is much clearer and the corners of the tanks are just nicer.

Currently, I'm off on the hunt to figure out what to do for a stand. First thought was to source a metal stand and build a shelf on the bottom for a sump and then create a veneer set of doors and siding to make it presentable as this will be setup next to our office. The second idea was to go get a simple stand for a 120 and just use that and deal with the sump being stuck in the stand... For the price of the stand I didn't see this headache as worth it. The final idea was just to go DIY. Sadly I'm not setup with tools for wood working, I have everything in my shop for metal work, just not for wood. I considered getting some square tube stock and making my own metal frame, but by the time that's done and sent to a powder coater it's going to be just as much as an off the shelf wood stand. I'm thinking it might be time to invest into a table saw and a powered miter saw.

Now here's the fun part, the hardware for the build. I'm currently thinking of running a Trigger Systems Emerald 39 so I can increase the water volume of the overall system. Plus I have room for hardware as I'm looking to possibly run a refugium as well as my own homebrew DIY automation. One question comes up with a refugium though. With a system that is expected to be around 80 gallons with tank and sump (since sump is not 100% full), would a refugium be worth it? Right now I'm running a cheato reactor and it's doing wonders, I was trying to figure out if it would be more worth while to upgrade that and run LR in the refugium area instead as the tank will be bare bottom? Thoughts? As for lighting, I plan to move over my Kessil 160WE from the 20L and setup the spare I have so that the tank has 100% coverage.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool setup! As far as stands, building with wood isn’t really hard. You’d just need wood drill bits and deck screws to put a stand together. As far as the refugium, do you think your cheato reactor won’t be sufficient over time? I’m a fan of leaving something alone if it’s working. I don’t have a fuge so hopefully someone with one can chime in.

OP
OP
T

Tihsho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

Drill and deck screws are the easy part, getting stuff cut to size is where my toolbox is falling short. I would just rip it with a circular saw, but I'm OCD about straight cuts.

As for the cheato reactor, right now I feel like it's sized appropriately to about 30 gallons. As we tend to feed the corals heavy (some days get Reef-Roids mixed with Reef Nutrition Phyto and Oyster Feast and others they get Mysis or Camalanus soaked in Vit-C, Vit-M, and Amino's) I want to make sure the filtration is up to snuff. I know a skimmer would help, but I want to make sure I've got another nutrient sponge in the system to soak up the rest.

OP
OP
T

Tihsho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today should be the day I get the call that the tank has arrived! Now the big hopes are that the tank that comes in is the right tank, it didn't get busted in transit and most of all that it will fit in the misses hatchback because no way will it fit in my sedan. Worst case, off I go to rent a truck.

Did some planning late last night and I think I may consider upping the lights to two Kessil 360x's and I may use one of the A160WE's in the middle to help reduce shadowing to help the SPS. Thoughts?

I also need to figure out which skimmer I want to go with. I figure the Trigger Systems 39 should be able to fit almost anything. Ideally, I'd like to oversize the skimmer just incase another tank gets added to the system ;Dead But I don't want to go too out of control and starve the system of nutrients. I figure the first compartment can house the skimmer, one heater, pump to a cheato reactor, pump to a GFO/Carbon reactor and fill in the open space with biomedia (looking at Brightwell's Bio Block and Bio Bricks). The second compartment can house additional biomedia and some other macro algae's and used as an overflow for extra chaeto and ogo that I've got. Final stage will be a return pump and the ATO sensor.

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS sold me a seapora 135. Very pleased with the tank.

He also told me that Seapora is made by deep blue. I think you’re right though, it seems the deep blue name is all but gone.

OP
OP
T

Tihsho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ended up not getting a call yesterday, waited till today since I was working from home to call in the afternoon. Gave them a ring and when they realized who I was they the line got quiet... "Yeah, we've been meaning to call you... The tank came in on Wednesday, but the bottom brace was cracked all the way through" Doh! Things happen, but I wished I knew earlier! Spend last night finalizing plans for a stand and wanted to have the tank so I could measure out clearances before ordering material. Oh, yeah, the stand is going to be an aluminum extrusion build.

I wasn't aware how these had been sneaking around in the hobby, and the fact I have other DIY projects that use 80/20 extrusions, I figured why not go this route as well for the frag tank!

OP
OP
T

Tihsho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today hopefully is the day that the tank gets delivered to the shop!

Just FYI to anyone else looking into the Seapora frag tanks, I've been seeing that the issue that I ran into was actually something a few others have run into. Luckily, the shop I ordered from pulled off the packaging to inspect the tank prior to accepting the delivery from the common carrier. A few others I've read ordered the tank or purchased it from an LFS with all the packaging on and didn't realize the issue until they got home and unpackaged the tank. Just food for thought prior to ordering and bringing the tank home.

OP
OP
T

Tihsho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@gioNVA

Aquatic Creations. They have been one of the best LFS's in my area for over a decade. There are other LFS's in the area, but they don't focus on the Aquarium hobby solely. These guys have all the niche things I've needed over the years and always tend to stock oddball stuff and their fish have always been quality.

OP
OP
T

Tihsho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp, on another week of waiting. Seems like the new distributor is having issues with their carrier service as last weeks shipment to the shop didn't arrive. Hope to have more info for this week.

mcwhng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp, on another week of waiting. Seems like the new distributor is having issues with their carrier service as last weeks shipment to the shop didn't arrive. Hope to have more info for this week.
Any news on this build? Interested in your tank and stand since it’s also what I’m considering!

PmCarbrey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Random interjection: seapora = deep blue = aquarium masters = aquarium industrial. Seapora is just the brand distributed by royal, deep blue was distributed by Phillips, and aquarium masters is distributed directly by aquarium industrial.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back