Second Apex for Second Tank Or Use Existing Apex for 2 Tanks?

lactose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ignoring the cost for a moment :)

I presume everyone's thoughts are a second Apex is better than extending/adding to an existing one?

I have an Apex 2016 loaded with modules etc. and it is already hard enough to see everything on fusion etc. I can't imagine another set of items on there.

Also in case something goes wrong it doesn't bring down 2 tank systems is the other benefit I could imagine.

Any thoughts/advice? I would like to avoid buying a second but I feel like it is stretching my existing one too far.

Thanks in advance-
-Tony

nitro316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use my apex to control 2 aquariums. Just get a long Aquabus (USB A male to male) and another EB8 and modules you need to control the things that you want on the second tank.

thabizness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use mine to control multiple tanks including QTs. Save the money to get long aquabus cables, eb8's, and PM1s

JamesP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been thinking about the same thing and I am leaning toward a second one for the sake of redundancy and so I dont reach some limit to the number of devices you can have. The cap is 100 counting virtual outlets. They say you can contact support and they can hack around and increase it, but there is a reason it is not higher. Probably takes away memory from somewhere else to do it. I use a lot of virtual outlets for advanced programming and I have a lot of physical outlets as well.

Also, if you add temp, ph, orp, and salinity to a remote tank you spent enough to buy another apex if you count the probes and modules needed. The only reason it would make sense to me would be if I needed the logic between the two tanks to be linked together in some way. Like, if tank 1 does something tank 2 should take x action. I cant think of a case for that. You could just have things happen at certain times of day and they would be coordinated across all systems too if you think about it.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Tony answered his own question [emoji12]

I have 2 tanks controlled by 1 apex 37' away from the head unit. Works great. But if both systems need to be running extra modules and such it would be cheaper and easier to have 2 units in the long run. My second tank is a simple basic setup so it was better to just add on to my existing. One thing to keep in mind is do you have enough Ethernet outlets on your router?

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do u need Ethernet cable on ur router?

JamesP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its a classic or jr you need to cable it in to your network. If its a new model you can use wifi. It just depends.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I get that personally I would hardwire it no matter what year it was but I'm still stumped why prsnalty wrote that.

Zachhll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would assume They wrote that due to the fact if you have two Apex units you will need two Ethernet ports on your router.

OP
OP
lactose

lactose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing to keep in mind is do you have enough Ethernet outlets on your router?

I would assume They wrote that due to the fact if you have two Apex units you will need two Ethernet ports on your router.

I think this was the point being made as well. If you have 2 Apex's you need two wired connections to your router (or wired network) as WiFi is there but wired is always more reliable.

For me I have a wired network of switches and such throughout my house so ethernet ports isn't an issue.

Last edited:
OP
OP
lactose

lactose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all for your replies and thoughts. Sometimes I get so far in my head on decisions I get lost or lose perspective ;)

Ive been thinking about the same thing and I am leaning toward a second one for the sake of redundancy and so I dont reach some limit to the number of devices you can have. The cap is 100 counting virtual outlets. They say you can contact support and they can hack around and increase it, but there is a reason it is not higher. Probably takes away memory from somewhere else to do it. I use a lot of virtual outlets for advanced programming and I have a lot of physical outlets as well.

I have a bunch of virtual outlets (I am a coder/software architect by trade) and so have lots of 'advanced' stuff going on and it is already a lot to keep track of - for both me and the apex head unit I am sure. I worry about single point of failure and the limits of outlets as well as the limits of my ability to look at an apex/fusion dashboard and see something meaningful.

I already have multiple PH & temp probes, the head unit probes and several sets of inputs to cover the main tanks in that one system, the RODI refill, the saltwater mixing station and the QT/Hospital/Observation tanks so I can't imagine adding more probes to that.

Also, if you add temp, ph, orp, and salinity to a remote tank you spent enough to buy another apex if you count the probes and modules needed. The only reason it would make sense to me would be if I needed the logic between the two tanks to be linked together in some way. Like, if tank 1 does something tank 2 should take x action. I cant think of a case for that. You could just have things happen at certain times of day and they would be coordinated across all systems too if you think about it.

I think Tony answered his own question [emoji12]

I have 2 tanks controlled by 1 apex 37' away from the head unit. Works great. But if both systems need to be running extra modules and such it would be cheaper and easier to have 2 units in the long run. My second tank is a simple basic setup so it was better to just add on to my existing. One thing to keep in mind is do you have enough Ethernet outlets on your router?

Agree, by the time I did the math on another EB32 and PM2 and probes etc. it started to not be a huge monetary difference and the benefits of two make up the difference for me. Seen too many software/hardware solutions fail due to single point of failures.

So in the end I have decided to get a second one, it also saves me the work of running the 75' foot usb cable across my house.

Alas tho, I now have unused still coiled up 75' USB cable made by usbfirewire.com that I bought when I was *sure* I wanted to double up on the existing one. Anyone need one?

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all for your replies and thoughts. Sometimes I get so far in my head on decisions I get lost or lose perspective ;)

I have a bunch of virtual outlets (I am a coder/software architect by trade) and so have lots of 'advanced' stuff going on and it is already a lot to keep track of - for both me and the apex head unit I am sure. I worry about single point of failure and the limits of outlets as well as the limits of my ability to look at an apex/fusion dashboard and see something meaningful.

I already have multiple PH & temp probes, the head unit probes and several sets of inputs to cover the main tanks in that one system, the RODI refill, the saltwater mixing station and the QT/Hospital/Observation tanks so I can't imagine adding more probes to that.

Agree, by the time I did the math on another EB32 and PM2 and probes etc. it started to not be a huge monetary difference and the benefits of two make up the difference for me. Seen too many software/hardware solutions fail due to single point of failures.

So in the end I have decided to get a second one, it also saves me the work of running the 75' foot usb cable across my house.

Alas tho, I now have unused still coiled up 75' USB cable made by usbfirewire.com that I bought when I was *sure* I wanted to double up on the existing one. Anyone need one?
That is a loooong cable lol. Maybe you could sell it on that sales/dry foods forum.

Fusionnalso lets you go to the original dashboard I've been told. In there you can make up multi tank views. I am not sure exactly how but if you go to their forum I am sure someone will help you out with that. It would alleviate some confusion as to what goes to what tank.

Bennybeats

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so I bought a setup from my buddy who was getting out of the hobby so it came with an apex and I already have on my main so is there a way to hook both up to the same account? if so could someone give me some directions please.

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always keep your 75’ cable as a backup - if you lose an Apex head on one of the tanks you could just use the 75’er to connect all the modules to the other head unit to get the tank up and running again.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 59 39.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 42 28.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back