Second Neptune Apex Energy Bar? Am I CRAZY?

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening reefers!

Here I sit and look at my lagoon build and seeing it getting further and further along, and there are more and more things that need plugs.. I am seeing my energy bar on my neptune apex getting filled quickly..

My question(s) to you all is..

DO I NEED A SECOND APEX ENERGY BAR? CAN I PLUG MY SECOND BAR DIRECTLY INTO MY FIRST? WILL THIS ALL CONNECT? AM I CRAZY?

giphy.gif

I know there is somebody out there somewhere that can help with this interesting question.. also should I just not and get a longer regular extension cord and add the possibly only 2 plugs that I need....

HELP ME

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use one EB832 and one EB8. Each plugged into different wall socket. I wish I would've gotten two EB832s because you get socket-level power usage metrics. EB8 only gives you total power usage.

nagreen8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine hooked up to several extension cords with power strips on them. just make sure what your plugging in isn't over the max amps..

pscoma17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two of them when I bought my apex went ahead and ordered second one just in case for extra plugs they are plugged into separate wall plugs

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can connect many EnergyBars to your Apex setup, including the EB832, EB8, EB6, or EB4. Each EnergyBar should be plugged into separate wall outlets for power, but the AquaBus cables that control each module may be daisy-chained:

901358A6-59C2-42AF-9F8E-66C44FE993AE.jpeg

Ltlevil1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not crazy as others have noted. In actuality it could make more sense than you first think. Depending on what pumps/powerheads/equipment (Wave/Core/Trident/DOS) you want to run an extra EB832 @ $250 vs a 1Link @ $150 may be of more use to you. You should also consider any accessories such as fans, cabinet lighting etc... that you can take advantage of the 24vDC outlets. If the 1Link and 24v are not needed, then an EB8 may suffice. I will say this, if you think you might need (a/k/a want) something and say well I can do this... If you can afford it, then get what you want/need upfront. It will save time and money in the long run for a lot of circumstances. Write down what equipment you would like to have (don't consider cost in this section), what you must have (what is absolutely required for you to have piece of mind and whatever control you need) and then what you can actually afford/is reasonable. You will come to a part of these lists where you say, well that would be useful, but I can't justify spending money on it right now. When you come to this part, ask what you need to do to achieve that equipment. Maybe you wait a few months and keep an eye on the marketplace, local reef-club sale/trade.

Arricefe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening reefers!

Here I sit and look at my lagoon build and seeing it getting further and further along, and there are more and more things that need plugs.. I am seeing my energy bar on my neptune apex getting filled quickly..

My question(s) to you all is..

DO I NEED A SECOND APEX ENERGY BAR? CAN I PLUG MY SECOND BAR DIRECTLY INTO MY FIRST? WILL THIS ALL CONNECT? AM I CRAZY?

giphy.gif

I know there is somebody out there somewhere that can help with this interesting question.. also should I just not and get a longer regular extension cord and add the possibly only 2 plugs that I need....

HELP ME

@ReeferBlaine I am going to suggest that you NOT do what I did, don't add the second energy bar. Get a wifi enabled power strip, save some money and be just as happy.

ajjw0828

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a whole second apex el to have a backup head unit and an extra EB832. Its really a no brainer, and for as much time and money as you put into this system I figure whats an extra 500 bucks for ease and peace of mind.

Arricefe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a whole second apex el to have a backup head unit and an extra EB832. Its really a no brainer, and for as much time and money as you put into this system I figure whats an extra 500 bucks for ease and peace of mind.
@ajjw0828 I guess that's one way to do it, in the better safe than sorry camp.

themcfreak

A Surfing Starfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would def NOT plug the 2nd EB832 into the first. All of the amps and power draw of the 2nd would pull through a single outlet on the first, likely overloading it. However, as stated above, you can def connect them with aquabus cables. Happy Reefing!

U

User1

View Badges
I won't answer the main question because it already has. Aquabus cable is your friend.

However, what I was going to note is to consider the outlets on the single bar you have see if it makes sense to use the plug for the piece of equipment. For example I had two of my Sea Swirl units plugged into the energy bar but I'm not controlling them. I'm not looking at the power draw, I'm not alerting off anything, so it is more or less just a waste of 2 outlets. Unplugged, moved to a different surge plug device, and Bob's your Uncle. I also mistakenly had my Cor 20 return pump plugged into it. Again that is a no no because I wanted redundancy in case the energy bar fails which would result in my Cor 15's failing so it was moved to a different wall outlet. So now I have 3 open plugs when I didn't.

Just an example. I took the price of the energy bar and spread the cost per outlet and I use that as a reference. Seems to work. I will say though that I do have a spare energy bar in case something happens. I feel that is worth it but I don't really have anything plugged into it.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 55 45.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 18 15.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back