Sediment in sump

Kona

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new set up. 180 gallons including sump. Caribsea live rock and sand. Had local pet store set up and fill. set up on 31 October, water test have been good. The tank was cloudy when they set it up, which I know is normal. This left a thin layer of sand dust on the bottom of the sump. Is this normal and should I try and vacuum it out.
I believe the fist fish I got had marine velvet, now if I put fish in they die, so I am not going to add any fish for 60 days. I have two cleaner shrimp some Zoe’s, and a mushroom, all doing great.

OP
OP
Kona

Kona

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was there before I introduced any animal, it’s from the sand I think. Should I try and get it out or leave it, is this normal for new set up.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silt from the sand is ok .
detritus is not good to leave .

you can clean it out if you prefer a clean look ( keep in mind sumps will become harder to keep clean as it matures

SantaMonica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just sediment from the new setup. If you have a cleanup crew in there, then you can let it accumulate and the food particles will circle back up to feed the corals. If you don't have a crew in there then it will just rot and add nutrients.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back