Sedimentation of phosphate dosing solution?

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,
For two weeks now my Sunny D zoa colony is unhappy and I don't know why. I know my tank has a nutrient limitation but I am dosing phosphate. My question is, if its possible for dinatriumhydrogenphosphate to react with calciumchloride and getting unavailable because I am mixing both solutions to save a dosing pump.

3 CaCl2 + 2 PO3−4 → Ca3(PO4)2 + 6 Cl−
Wikipedia says it does happen?
Does this mean I didn't dose any phosphate for several weeks now and my Sunny D are the first zoas reacting?
Before that I was mixing my phosphate with nitrate and alkalinty.

OP
OP
Tavero

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, those will certainly precipitate and aren't a good combo. Low phosphate might be the issue with the corals if it is low enough.
I was worried about that. Do you know if i can mix the nitrate (NaNO3) solution with calciumchloride or do I i have to stick with my first combination (alk+no3+po4) which worked but was inflexible.

Runnin'Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was worried about that. Do you know if i can mix the nitrate (NaNO3) solution with calciumchloride or do I i have to stick with my first combination (alk+no3+po4) which worked but was inflexible.
When this happened to you did your zoa close of intermittently and not open all the way? I'm having trouble with mine and I think it's because of low phosphate

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You can mix sodium nitrate and calcium chloride. :)

OP
OP
Tavero

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When this happened to you did your zoa close of intermittently and not open all the way? I'm having trouble with mine and I think it's because of low phosphate
My colonies melted and are melting because of bacterial infections. It had nothing to do with my low phosphate levels and there was nothing i could do to prevent it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My colonies melted and are melting because of bacterial infections. It had nothing to do with my low phosphate levels and there was nothing i could do to prevent it.

Sorry to hear that. :(

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back