Seeding live rock

Rob.In.AZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My tank is looking a bit of a mess. Was setup in 2014 with Tonga LR. Had 2 kids and things went south a bit for awhile. Moved and tank is up, but it not doing great. FWIW i kept maybe 60% of the LR in brutes with saltwater, circulation and heat for 3 or 4 months. Rest of it was thrown in a bin to dry. Before adding to the tank it was bleached then rinsed.

Water is a little cloudy. Algae is OOC. Parameters are good for what that’s worth (NO3 less than 10, Ca 420, Alk stable at around 11, Mg is 1100)

I know I have the bacteria. Just feel like I am missing micro fauna diversity. Pods aren’t looking good. Other micro hitchhikers are not there in any real numbers, brstleworms are there but whatever.

Seems like rock direct from the ocean isn't really a thing anymore? Outside of the gulf LR farms.
Thinking about some TBS rock to seed with. Any other suggestions?

Add pods from algae barn or some place like that?

Anything else?

NeedAReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could post on some of the reef keeping groups like FRAG in FB, there are always locals (more Phoenix than Tucson) looking to off load or break down tanks. you could look locally for reef stew, or maybe order up some like you said, if you can get a good deal. If you come up to Phoenix there are tons of places that have pods. Perhaps get a bit of a CUC to get the OOC algae under control. Getting cooler so you could likely get a nice shipment from @reeftopia

OP
OP
Rob.In.AZ

Rob.In.AZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have looked in Tucson, not much with the groups as far as LR. Guess I need to check Phoenix. Cheaper than TBS order for sure.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is looking a bit of a mess. Was setup in 2014 with Tonga LR. Had 2 kids and things went south a bit for awhile. Moved and tank is up, but it not doing great. FWIW i kept maybe 60% of the LR in brutes with saltwater, circulation and heat for 3 or 4 months. Rest of it was thrown in a bin to dry. Before adding to the tank it was bleached then rinsed.

Water is a little cloudy. Algae is OOC. Parameters are good for what that’s worth (NO3 less than 10, Ca 420, Alk stable at around 11, Mg is 1100)

I know I have the bacteria. Just feel like I am missing micro fauna diversity. Pods aren’t looking good. Other micro hitchhikers are not there in any real numbers, brstleworms are there but whatever.

Seems like rock direct from the ocean isn't really a thing anymore? Outside of the gulf LR farms.
Thinking about some TBS rock to seed with. Any other suggestions?

Add pods from algae barn or some place like that?

Anything else?
Tampa Bay Saltwater is a good source. I used 20 pounds sand, 20 pounds rock to start a 75 gallon reef. On top of dry crushed coral, and dry pukani rock. Used the sand in the tank, rock in the refugium. Doing awesome.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt live rock will fix the issue. Arguably it could make it worse by introducing more pest algaes. What is the phosphate level (and what test kit)? What sorts of algaevores does the tank have?

OP
OP
Rob.In.AZ

Rob.In.AZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tampa Bay Saltwater is a good source. I used 20 pounds sand, 20 pounds rock to start a 75 gallon reef. On top of dry crushed coral, and dry pukani rock. Used the sand in the tank, rock in the refugium. Doing awesome.

We thinking their treasure box or 20 lbs of premium branching rock. But that outlay of cash is just…boxing and shopping would end up more than the rock.

I doubt live rock will fix the issue. Arguably it could make it worse by introducing more pest algaes. What is the phosphate level (and what test kit)? What sorts of algaevores does the tank have?

Reef cleaners package. Little undersized for the tank, but was planning on adding to it.
PO4 is unknown. Test kits were inaccurate down to low levels and I don’t have a Hanna checker. Last ICP testing wasn’t crazy high, but I would need to look.

Something odd I noticed re: cloudy water. It’s very cloudy when the lights come on, but by the time the light cycle is coming to an end, the tank is noticeably less cloudy. Send backwards to me, but maybe not?

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We thinking their treasure box or 20 lbs of premium branching rock. But that outlay of cash is just…boxing and shopping would end up more than the rock.

Reef cleaners package. Little undersized for the tank, but was planning on adding to it.
PO4 is unknown. Test kits were inaccurate down to low levels and I don’t have a Hanna checker. Last ICP testing wasn’t crazy high, but I would need to look.

Something odd I noticed re: cloudy water. It’s very cloudy when the lights come on, but by the time the light cycle is coming to an end, the tank is noticeably less cloudy. Send backwards to me, but maybe not?
I purchased 20 pounds each, rock was the basic rock not premium. I had it shipped same day Florida to Seattle 117.00 shipping. Total weight was 70 pounds with water. Smelled like the ocean when I received it. My setup is just over two months old and absolutely no ugly stage. I'll pm you a video. There were some hitch hikers on the rocks but the rocks went into the sump, sand in the display.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 141 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.4%
Back