Seeking Advice - New Build Time - 210 Gallon built-in

Aquavol

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long time listener, first time caller.

I am embarking on a basement remodel, and have plans to build in my new reef tank. I need to make some decisions, at least with respect to tank dimensions, pretty quickly as it will affect cabinet requirements, etc.

I currently have a 29 gallon setup with an eshopps sump. The only thing automated is my top-off. I buy water for top off and water changes from my LFS. I have been in the hobby for just over a year.

Based on the space available, I want a 72” display, 24” tall, and either 24” or 30” deep. I want to add automation for basically everything I can, plus I want to purchase an RO system to cut down on water costs. At 29 gallons, it’s not that bad, but at 200-250 total system volume, that would get out of control.

I’m looking for advice on selecting the right equipment for this build. This will be visible from 3 sides in our basement bar area, with a 3 foot deep, 14 foot long closet behind the display and sump. I will be putting a utility sink in the closet, and the RO will run off the same water supply as the sink. The cabinetry hiding the sump and lighting will match the rest of the cabinetry for the bar.

I’m intrigued by Red Sea and Waterbox because both have the size display I want and both seem well respected. It’s an easy solution for the tank, sump, and potentially even the lighting, and surprisingly seems to be more cost effective than piecing this together. My hang up is that I don’t really need the cabinet. I am curious if the stand can be used if the cabinet door are removed and the rear cabinet panel is removed. I will want to access the sump from the front and back, so the panel would have to be removed. I will have my own cabinets in front of the sump and in front of the lights. Do the Red Sea/Watwrbox doors and rear paneling add structural stability? Or are the stands sturdy without them?

Thanks for reading. Any feedback is truly appreciated.

pictures attached of my current setup

D62276E5-661E-4BC5-845B-AC4CF42D0EE7.jpeg EA60B3E8-67E7-4468-9CE8-A895D93DADEF.jpeg

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience with having an inwall aquarium (90 gallon) is that without front overhead access, maintenance and coral placement is a pain. If your plan is to be in wall I strongly suggest a removable panel or door above the aquarium.

OP
OP
Aquavol

Aquavol

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience with having an inwall aquarium (90 gallon) is that without front overhead access, maintenance and coral placement is a pain. If your plan is to be in wall I strongly suggest a removable panel or door above the aquarium.
I actually want the display to be in the room, not in the wall. The closet behind will have access to the tank and sump. I also plan to have access from the front. The cabinets below the tank and above will actually be false fronts, so to speak. They will just give access to the lights and display above, and the sump below. They won't be actual storage cabinets. The closet will be there to hide the mess that I have found comes with having a tank, which my wife does not particularly appreciate... things like dirty filter socks, chemicals, water jugs, buckets, syphons, etc.

OP
OP
Aquavol

Aquavol

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture that roughly represents what I am trying to do. Not the same dimensions, but just so you understand the layout. The closet footprint won't actually house the tank, lights, or sump. It will house everything else, and will have access. But the tank, sump, and lights will be in the footprint of the room the bar is in.

Attachments

• d5653adfd8c70ec77aaa381ddbdaf028.jpg
    d5653adfd8c70ec77aaa381ddbdaf028.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 38
OP
OP
Aquavol

Aquavol

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have recommendations for power requirements? Should I have certain minimum dedicated wattage/voltage for a system like this?

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol... did you really have a gap in your posts from August 19, 2021 until 18 minutes ago (in July 2022)? :p

At least you put the time to good use-- it's coming along beautifully! Will it be a FOWLR or FOWLR/Softies or full reef?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would talk to the guys at glasscages and have them build exactly what you want. As far as power goes I'd probably recommend 2 seperate 20amp breakers for the tank. Probably overkill but best to have more than you need. Also consider a mixing station. Either some large containers or brute cans. Minimum of a 5 stage RoDi with booster pump.

Edit: whoops, just noticed time gap

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All sounds amazing .
A few things to consider
Having a 230 now ( 72”x27”x27”) cleaning the glass is a pain and hard to reach as it is .
I couldn’t imagine trying to reach from the back , or climbing around inside a wall

OP
OP
Aquavol

Aquavol

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol... did you really have a gap in your posts from August 19, 2021 until 18 minutes ago (in July 2022)? :p

At least you put the time to good use-- it's coming along beautifully! Will it be a FOWLR or FOWLR/Softies or full reef?
Lol yeah. Kinda forgot to update the thread.
Will be a full reef. Also found some significant help from the LFS with planning.

Ended up with a glass cages 72x24x30

I found some Phillips coral care 2s on sale and picked up three of those plus the controller.

Bashsea sump, protein skimmer, and bio pellet reactor.

UV light. Most of the apex automation I wanted. Holding off on the dos and trident for now until funds replenish.

life rock and Fiji pink sand.

I think that’s about it for now. Everything will be installed over the next week or two. Will post updates.

OP
OP
Aquavol

Aquavol

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would talk to the guys at glasscages and have them build exactly what you want. As far as power goes I'd probably recommend 2 seperate 20amp breakers for the tank. Probably overkill but best to have more than you need. Also consider a mixing station. Either some large containers or brute cans. Minimum of a 5 stage RoDi with booster pump.

Edit: whoops, just noticed time gap
That’s exactly what we did. Two 20 amp breakers. Mixing station is in the short term plans.

OP
OP
Aquavol

Aquavol

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All sounds amazing .
A few things to consider
Having a 230 now ( 72”x27”x27”) cleaning the glass is a pain and hard to reach as it is .
I couldn’t imagine trying to reach from the back , or climbing around inside a wall

I have access from the back and front. But I am curious what the cleaning will look like.

OP
OP
Aquavol

Aquavol

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imagine standing on your head , up to your arm pits and still a few inches away from reaching the bottom .
Can’t wait!! He wanted to measure me from finger tip to armpit and order that height. I declined. I figured 24” will be hard enough. Luckily those cabinets over the tank aren’t real cabinets. Just doors that open up to the lights and tank.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t wait!! He wanted to measure me from finger tip to armpit and order that height. I declined. I figured 24” will be hard enough. Luckily those cabinets over the tank aren’t real cabinets. Just doors that open up to the lights and tank.
I should have measured my finger tips to armpit before buying .
Never thought of it

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back