Seeking current clownfish breeding info (articles/books)

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My girlfriend has expressed interest in breeding clownfish and raising babies. I jumped at the opportunity to get her more involved with this hobby way of life!
I am looking for current/updated information on clownfish breeding and anything relevant. I have found a pretty thorough article on the subject, but it is pretty old.
I would appreciate links to current articles or book references from people who know what they're doing.

Still in the planning stage at this point. I'd specifically like to know what the ideal setup for a breeding pair is.
Secondly, I'd like to know what cultures I need to get setup for this process.

Thanks for any help/advice!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wilkerson’s book is not new but it is still the standard. Additionally, the Wittenrich book and the Hoff book are also filled with helpful info.

@Reef Nutrition rotifer culture system and fry food program is a good way to cover the food needs (this is the program used by many commercial clownfish breeders).

OP
OP
Mike N

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wilkerson’s book is not new but it is still the standard. Additionally, the Wittenrich book and the Hoff book are also filled with helpful info.

@Reef Nutrition rotifer culture system and fry food program is a good way to cover the food needs (this is the program used by many commercial clownfish breeders).
Exactly what i was hoping for, thanks!

OP
OP
Mike N

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crazy timing!
The Wyoming and Gladiator clowns I have had for 2 years decided to lay eggs for the first time ever.
Any tips to maximize the chance these eggs hatch would be appreciated
20190727_211522.jpg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Congratulations on the eggs! No matter what happens, you have established that this fish are healthy and well cared for! If the fish laid eggs and you keep them well feed and provide solid water quality then they will likely continue to lay eggs every few weeks. One of the decisions is to consider whether you want to try this a couple of times or if you want to continue to breed clownfish. This matters because you will have to make decisions about ordering a package of rotifers or getting a rotifer culture system and many other related questions. For the first one or two times that the fish lay eggs I would suggest that you have very low expectations and see what happens.

Typically you will need a separate 5 or 10g tank with a sponge filter for the fry. If the eggs were laid on something portable then you could move that object a day before the eggs hatch otherwise you have to try to catch as many fry as you can and move them over to the fry tank. There are many approaches to catching fry and one of those is to use a turkey baster (yes, I keep one in my fish supplies and it doesn't go back into the kitchen when I'm done!). Then it is a matter of providing food that the newly hatched fish are interested in and is small enough to fit into their mouths. This can be rotifers and then the various sizes of foods from @Reef Nutrition . After that it is a matter of keeping the water clean and, if they make it that far, then finding something to do with a bunch of clowns!

OP
OP
Mike N

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the detailed response.
To answer your question, yes this is something we want to do. My girl is really pushing for it and trying to get involved in the hobby. I'm all for being able to buy more stuff without getting the evil eye.

It's just funny the clownfish decide to breed now after we had started looking for a breeding pair to buy.

I would like to get rotifer culture set up eventually, but I probably will just order rotifers now since the clock is ticking.

I appreciate the tips on the fry tank setup and how to catch them, I was curious about that.
I will probably add a clay pot to the clowns' area to make transfering fry easier. Or I might just stick them in their own tank. Decisions, decisions.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to just try it out, you can get away with buying 2 million rotifers and a small bottle of RGComplete so you don't have to actually culture them (assuming you have less than 100 babies to raise). This should get you through the first 10 or so days you'll need to feed rotifers and wean them to TDO Chromaboost.

However, that doesn't make much financial sense because the culture kit + rotifers + food isn't a lot more money and you'll end up with an endless supply of rotifers.

OP
OP
Mike N

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to just try it out, you can get away with buying 2 million rotifers and a small bottle of RGComplete so you don't have to actually culture them (assuming you have less than 100 babies to raise). This should get you through the first 10 or so days you'll need to feed rotifers and wean them to TDO Chromaboost.

However, that doesn't make much financial sense because the culture kit + rotifers + food isn't a lot more money and you'll end up with an endless supply of rotifers.
Interesting and unlikely (i assume) story here.
I never got around to getting rotifers since I didn't have a larval trap. However, on hatch night, I got lucky and was able to retrieve two fry. I put them in a 5gal with a sponge filter and went to bed.
Those two fry are still alive after hatching Sunday. Thats 5 days, going on 6.
I've been feeding only powdered reef chili and crushed flake.

I definitely need to get a DIY rotifer culture going my clowns laid eggs again last night. I have TDO on order from BRS as well as a larval trap. I'll be better prepared this time.

I want to order the reef nutrition culture kit, but the shipping is like $60.. can't bring myself to do it.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting and unlikely (i assume) story here.
I never got around to getting rotifers since I didn't have a larval trap. However, on hatch night, I got lucky and was able to retrieve two fry. I put them in a 5gal with a sponge filter and went to bed.
Those two fry are still alive after hatching Sunday. Thats 5 days, going on 6.
I've been feeding only powdered reef chili and crushed flake.

I definitely need to get a DIY rotifer culture going my clowns laid eggs again last night. I have TDO on order from BRS as well as a larval trap. I'll be better prepared this time.

I want to order the reef nutrition culture kit, but the shipping is like $60.. can't bring myself to do it.

Do you have a LFS nearby? If they carry Reef Nutrition products and order directly (instead of going through a wholesaler) they should be able to order the culture kit for you and shipping should be free. Shipping is expensive because they have to ship the rotifers via overnight delivery.

OP
OP
Mike N

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a LFS nearby? If they carry Reef Nutrition products and order directly (instead of going through a wholesaler) they should be able to order the culture kit for you and shipping should be free. Shipping is expensive because they have to ship the rotifers via overnight delivery.
I tried that route already. No one here carries that specific item from reef nutrition and they get charged high shipping for it as well.
EDIT: Was able to navigate through to find $20 shipping option. Thanks

authentic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
never had much luck with the larval trap,i start a suction on a small airline tube with a solid tube inserted then pinch it to stop the flow...flashlight in a corner about an hour after lights out,cut the flow and collect.Only raised a fry once.There are you tube videos of a knohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTSu2TrY5Ggwledgeable woman from a event like MACNA in two parts that was very helpful..

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
never had much luck with the larval trap,i start a suction on a small airline tube with a solid tube inserted then pinch it to stop the flow...flashlight in a corner about an hour after lights out,cut the flow and collect.Only raised a fry once.There are you tube videos of a knohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTSu2TrY5Ggwledgeable woman from a event like MACNA in two parts that was very helpful..

While this method works, I think it's a little rough on the fry. I try to avoid anything that could possibly damage their heads prior to meta. There are a ton of tank-raised clowns with deformed heads. The larval trap uses a gentle flow of water to collect the larvae.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back