Seeking help tracking down the source of P04...

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@P-Dub

Green Hair Algae growth in my tank.

- I tested P04 in my tank about 30 minutes ago. P04 = .12
- I tested P04 in my RODI storage 10 minutes ago. P04 = .04

Media in my RODI system is due to be changed, although my TDS still measure zero.

- 20% weekly water changes.
- Chaeto growing like mad in the refugium.
- 460 grams of Ferric Oxide running in a media bag (twice the recommended amount).

Desperate to find the source.

Suggestions?

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics, stocking, light schedule?
Green Hair Algae isn't the problem, but a manifestation of the problem. It is the result of elevated P04. Find the source of the P04 and the GHA will go away.

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My PO4 is close to 0.3 ppm and I don't have any GHA. I've started carbon-dosing to get it down to 0.1 - 0.2. Your current level is where I'd like to be.

I don't think lowering your PO4 will just make your GHA go away. I think that a good CUC and herbivore fish make it go away and keep it away.

I second @Brandon3152134 request.

FWIW, I've found that running GFO in a reactor is far more effective than a bag. I chose to use GFO for about 6 months after a large ball of chaeto died on me (first time running macro-algae and fully depleted iron). PO4 was more than 1.0 ppm. Now, I want to use carbon-dosing instead of GFO.

I expect that when my SPS frags grow into colonies that they will consume much more PO4 and I won't need to export so much.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@P-Dub

Green Hair Algae growth in my tank.

- I tested P04 in my tank about 30 minutes ago. P04 = .12
- I tested P04 in my RODI storage 10 minutes ago. P04 = .04

Media in my RODI system is due to be changed, although my TDS still measure zero.

- 20% weekly water changes.
- Chaeto growing like mad in the refugium.
- 460 grams of Ferric Oxide running in a media bag (twice the recommended amount).

Desperate to find the source.

Suggestions?

The source is usually foods, unless the rock happens to be a big source. It is adding far, far more than that RO/DI water.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The source is usually foods, unless the rock happens to be a big source. It is adding far, far more than that RO/DI water.

I do feed frozen food. But I defrost and rinse before feeding.

The last time I saw something like this was when I put a piece of dry rock from BRS right into a tank.

I have about 40 pounds of live rock in the sump. I was thinking that may be the source of my problem.

I recall rinsing the live rock in a solution... was it peroxide and water?

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics, stocking, light schedule?

This particular tank is stocked with 2 clowns, some hammer corals and zoas. Also, two BTAs.

The light schedule is a total of 12 hours: 2 hour ramp up, 8 hours full, 2 hours ramp down.

I'm thinking...

The tank was bare bottom. Recently, I added crushed coral as a substrate. Would adding crushed coral have the same effect as adding dry rock directly to the tank?

Brandon3152134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This particular tank is stocked with 2 clowns, some hammer corals and zoas. Also, two BTAs.

The light schedule is a total of 12 hours: 2 hour ramp up, 8 hours full, 2 hours ramp down.

I'm thinking...

The tank was bare bottom. Recently, I added crushed coral as a substrate. Would adding crushed coral have the same effect as adding dry rock directly to the tank?
Potentially, depends where u got the sand and if it was preused. Doesnt look like ur stocking is the issue. What are the corals looking like are they doing good? I would turn the lights down to 6-8 hours for the time being while u fight this issue.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Potentially, depends where u got the sand and if it was preused. Doesnt look like ur stocking is the issue. What are the corals looking like are they doing good? I would turn the lights down to 6-8 hours for the time being while u fight this issue.

I have reduced the intensity of the lighting to 50% but kept the number of hours the same. All corals are looking fine. The nems are looking robust, just not as big as they normally get.

The crushed coral substrate was brand new. Do people really put used substrate in their tanks? It was thoroughly rinsed before putting it in the tank. But I am really thinking it needed to be prepared much in the same way you prepare dry rock before putting it in the tank.

But it is already in there, so I may have to ride it out.

I'm thinking about pulling the 40 pounds of live rock from the sump and soaking in vinegar to strip the phosphates from the rock. But that opens me up to a host of other issues.

Brandon3152134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have reduced the intensity of the lighting to 50% but kept the number of hours the same. All corals are looking fine. The nems are looking robust, just not as big as they normally get.

The crushed coral substrate was brand new. Do people really put used substrate in their tanks? It was thoroughly rinsed before putting it in the tank. But I am really thinking it needed to be prepared much in the same way you prepare dry rock before putting it in the tank.

But it is already in there, so I may have to ride it out.

I'm thinking about pulling the 40 pounds of live rock from the sump and soaking in vinegar to strip the phosphates from the rock. But that opens me up to a host of other issues.
I've added fresh argonite sand with no issues. I think you did the sand right and im not sure it would cause GHA. U might want to wait a little while on the 50% light schedule plus manually removal and see what it does before trying something as destructive as vinegar baths.

Brandon3152134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since your corals arent in trouble take your time and let the ecosystem find its balance. could add a sea hair to combat some of it but it wouldnt eliminate the initial issue that caused this in the first place.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back