• Eshopps Nano Protein Skimmer

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

chessplayer86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am selecting a Skimmer for my BioCube Coralife 29 and maybe a reactor? if I can fit both it would be great. But lets start with the skimmer.

Scubafrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using the Tunze DOC 9001 in my Coralife Biocube 29G. Works well but it is my first skimmer so I have nothing to compare it to.

OP
OP
chessplayer86

chessplayer86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, the POLL is to select one. The TUNZE does not fit the BIOCUBE 29 does it?

Scubafrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the Tunze 9001 will fit in the second (middle) chamber. Just giving additional options. :)

argue.oa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I been thinking about adding a sump to my 29g bio however you guys think it's a need ?? Is it worth spending that type of money??

OP
OP
chessplayer86

chessplayer86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the ones on the list too bad for them not to be selected? haha

Last edited:

Scubafrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I been thinking about adding a sump to my 29g bio however you guys think it's a need ?? Is it worth spending that type of money??

Personally, I wouldn't bother adding a sump to a Biocube but I have seen it done. I figured I would learn the hobby with the Biocube and as time, money, and space prevail then I would move up to a drilled tank with a sump.

Scubafrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the ones on the list too bad for them not to be selected? haha

I'm not sure as I haven't researched all of them as I have had my Tunze since 01/2015. The Marine Depot video is good but it is dated (06/2014). Like the Tunze skimmer they tested didn't fit with the round cup, since the video was made Tunze came out with the 9001 model that does fit.

Here is a video from inTank about the Tunze 9001.

argue.oa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I wouldn't bother adding a sump to a Biocube but I have seen it done. I figured I would learn the hobby with the Biocube and as time, money, and space prevail then I would move up to a drilled tank with a sump.
I think you're 100% right. Thank you for the feedback I will prob just add cheato to mid chamber with a refugium light..

Steve Dillon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No sump.. and I think that you be better off with the reactor. I have had a bio cube hqi for 5 years.. you either have to take off lids ( which causes evaporation) or you loose the refegium. I use the coral life skimmer with chemi pure.. just my opinion

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with the AquaticLife mini 115. $54. It fits in chamber 1, although you can't close the small lid in the back for proper height. It allowed me to fit media basket and refugium basket in chamber 2. The tunze 9001, is probably a better skimmer but chamber 2 only with INtank collection cup. So, you have to chose what you want. I really wanted a refugium, and although a small one, the chaeto grows like crazy and it is full of pods.

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have experience with either the Aquaticlife 115 and the tunze 9001 skimmer both fit nicely. The 115 in the first chamber, and the tunze in the middle chamber. Also the 9002 does indeed fit in the middle chamber. The 115 is actually a really great skimmer for the price after some cheap easy mods. I still use the one I bought 3 yrs ago on a 10 gal I use as a frag tank. I'm currently using the tunze 9001 and to be honest I am not very impressed with it. My biggest complaint complaint is the microbubbles that are in my display (29 Gal Biocube) from it. The unit also seems to be tough to fine tune. Seems like there is more potential out of this skimmer but after using it for almost a year I am losing patience with it. If you do not currently use a ATO you will need to get one for any skimmer located in the middle chamber.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 44 44.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 32 32.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 16.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back