What coral is this?

windsor_salt

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 13, 2023
Messages
67
Reaction score
33
Location
Windsor, ON
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I traded this for a fish and have no clue what it is. This also sheds once a week and the clowns love eating the shed. Any ideas?

765C32C6-EEE3-4F54-9FC8-852D4DA9EE40.jpeg
 
I thought this was a red monticap but it’s really smooth and at times it looks wet and shiny, with small polyps.
 
Interesting it’s actually a soft coral
Technically, the classification of soft corals (Alcyonacea) doesn't exist anymore, since they did a taxonomic overhaul of Octocorallia. Heliopora was never classified within Alcyonacea (as far as I know), so it wouldn't be considered a soft coral.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new