Self leveling mat

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey guys building a second tank is a self leveling Matt worth it or is it just a normal Mat that is over priced because it’s for this hobby

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I don’t know if there is an added value or not. But I saw someone recommend a yoga mat to another person on here a couple days ago.

OP
OP
Perthegallon

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah I can’t imagine there much
I don’t know if there is an added value or not. But I saw someone recommend a yoga mat to another person on here a couple days ago.
I was going to do that but wasn’t sure if I should just spend the money

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Yeah I can’t imagine there much

I was going to do that but wasn’t sure if I should just spend the money
I think they are important especially with a glass tank vs plastic framed tanks. That being said, I would see if there is a “weight” density listed and wether they are moisture resistant, anti microbial etc. then compare between them and other materials vs cost.

Or if the cost isn’t much different get the product “made” for it and save the time.

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thin neoprene exercise mats you can get online are your best bet if you are looking for one. Should be less than $20. Is this an acrylic tank or rimless glass?

edd59

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
they have nothing to do with leveling, they take away imperfections in the stand that could put stress on the glass. i have a miricles tank that comes with a 5 yr warranty and they supply a regular piece of styrafoam

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Get a 1/2" thick yoga mat from Amazon for $15. I was able to make 4 of them for my qt room out of one. Lay it down first and then trim. You won't get it right if you cut it first.

penguinexdeus

Poor Decision Maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they have nothing to do with leveling, they take away imperfections in the stand that could put stress on the glass. i have a miricles tank that comes with a 5 yr warranty and they supply a regular piece of styrafoam
100% this. The term self leveling mat should be outlawed. Stress relieving mat I think would be more accurate as it just alleviates tiny pressure points and helps smooth the surface contacting the glass.

Needed if no frame on bottom of tank, not needed if there's a frame and if used with a frame could actually cause a failure depending on how thick the mat is. I still cringe thinking off those photos on Facebook with framed tanks sitting on pink styrofoam insulation boards with people asking why their tank isn't level...

OP
OP
Perthegallon

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
100% this. The term self leveling mat should be outlawed. Stress relieving mat I think would be more accurate as it just alleviates tiny pressure points and helps smooth the surface contacting the glass.

Needed if no frame on bottom of tank, not needed if there's a frame and if used with a frame could actually cause a failure depending on how thick the mat is. I still cringe thinking off those photos on Facebook with framed tanks sitting on pink styrofoam insulation boards with people asking why their tank isn't level...
I think I’ll definitely get one. The tank is a custom made (bought from someone going through a divorce) and it’s extremely thick glass and the tank stand is really nicely made so why not spend the extra few to help it out

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 79.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back