• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Selling a Tank before it’s available?

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I’m thinking about upgrading from my current Red Sea 425xl to a larger tank. I’d like to get it sold prior to my new tank arriving. Was going to ask for a 15% non refundable deposit to hold the tank. This way I know I have a serious buyer. I really don’t have room to house the empty tank once I get the new one so I’m going to need the person to pick it up that day. I feel like the deposit just ensures no one will back out once they commit. The tank is only a year old and I’m only selling the tank and stand not the sump. Was going to ask $1,000 for the tank - so if I get the $1,000 I’d be asking for the $150 deposit.

Anyone else have experience doing the same type of sale?

Parent_usmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure if someone was serious about the hobby and willing to spend 1000 dollars on a tank then this would be fine. Just my opinion

Parent_usmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As in legally? If there's no written contract and your only excepting cash then I don't see why there's a problem... and lawyers in the building haha

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't see an issue with that type of sale. Good call on getting a deposit in advance. When I sold my last tank, I had 4 people with a day/time set to pick it up that all fell through before I finally got someone to actually show up. I was practically giving the tank away too. The worst thing about selling anything on here, or craigslist, or FB marketplace is how flakey people are. Blows my mind

I would also just be sure to include good pictures of the tank, especially any scratches or damage so the buyer knows exactly what they are getting before they show up.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.1%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 50 25.1%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 47 23.6%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back