Seneye Monitor and NH4

Second Shot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a seneye monitor primarily for the par meter but since it came with a slide obviously I’m going to use it. I understand the difference between NH3 and NH4 but I’m not sure if NH4 should be zero as well. I’m pretty sure the seneye is calculating the NH4 and it doesn’t give units. This morning my pH is 8.12, NH3 0.012 meg/l and NH4 14.01 (no unit given). Should I be concerned?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia (either form) need not be zero in a reef tank. If you can detect low enough, you will see it. I'm looking forward to the possible release of the Mindstream to allow good ammonia monitoring 24/7 at very low levels.

Can you clarify the NH3 unit of measure. Is it meq/L, or mg/L? I expect it is mg/L.

That said, I do not think the data you are reporting is correct if the NH4+ units are the same as NH3. The multiplier from NH3 to NH4+ is not nearly as large as your difference suggests ( a factor of 1,166). At that pH in seawater, it is more like a factor of 15-20)

I do not know how exactly the Seneye works to measure ammonia, so I cannot be sure which is more likely to be accurate (NH4+ or NH3), but they aren't both accurate in seawater at pH 8.12.

If the NH4+ was 14 mg/L, the tank is in very serious trouble and I expect it is wrong somehow unless you are cycling.

OP
OP
Second Shot

Second Shot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was mg/L sorry about that. Here is a screenshot which I doubt is very useful.
IMG_3536.JPG

OP
OP
Second Shot

Second Shot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had coral issues in this tank unlike my past tanks and now I’m wondering if this is a source of the issue or not.

OP
OP
Second Shot

Second Shot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are concerned about possible ammonia, I'd get an actual ammonia kit. But elevated ammonia is rare in an established tank. :)

I wasn’t until I saw the 14, lol. I’ll just ignore it. It doesn’t seem like you think it’s an accurate calculation. Fish are fine and the coral that survived whatever I did seem ok so I’ll go with it. Next time I’m at LFS I’ll ask them to test it just to double check.
Thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn’t until I saw the 14, lol. I’ll just ignore it. It doesn’t seem like you think it’s an accurate calculation. Fish are fine and the coral that survived whatever I did seem ok so I’ll go with it. Next time I’m at LFS I’ll ask them to test it just to double check.
Thanks

Seems a reasonable plan to me. :)

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go online seneye states that they only measure NH3 the NH4 value is derived from the NH3 reading based on ph and temp. Their documentation still doesn't state what the units are as it isn't ppm since NH4 should be about 80% of the total ammonia in water that is ph 8.

Mine has read around .12 to .18 since I got it and when I use my read sea ammonia test its yellow (0 ammonia) every time. I know test kits like Red Sea arn't extremely accurate at low ammonia levels but it what I had to compare

OP
OP
Second Shot

Second Shot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On yours, what are both of your ammonia readings if you don’t mind?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My "Free Ammonia" is currently reading 0.018ppm, temp is 76.6F, pH 8.04, and NH4 17.43ppb, if that helps figure anything out...

17.43 ppb NH4?

That also isn't correct based on the 0.018 ppm (18 ppb) NH3

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't think of any reason (given how relatively stable my temp and pH is) that the NH4 reading would fluctuate so much, either. I've always just ignored that number, tbh...

I think that the lowest I've ever seen the NH3 number has been around 0.010 or so - never 0.000. Not something I've ever been worried about, but may indicate that the accuracy of the device is not in the ppb range? Or it could just be that my tank always has some ammonia in it (more likely that one)...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Second Shot

Second Shot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the NH4 number is inaccurate when used in marine water. Just a thought, but I think when we check the box for marine use it is not recalculating the NH4 value as it does for the pH.

Kate Kate Kate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just leaned that nh4 is calculated in ppb instead of ppm. So, you were doing great.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just leaned that nh4 is calculated in ppb instead of ppm. So, you were doing great.

It may be fine, as I noted above, it also is not likely correct. If NH3 is 0.012 mg/L, the NH4+ is not 14 ppb unless the pH is well above pH 9.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 83 48.8%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back