Separate Apex for QT or just connect via aquabus?

reeferericb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m trying to decide which way is better to keep parameters in check on my QT tank. I don’t know that I need all the same information that my DT gives me, so I thought I’d ask here and see what everyone else does.

Is there a benefit to having a separate system or just aquabus over to an energy bar and buy the necessary modules that I want?

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's way more expensive to buy a 2nd Apex, and it's cumbersome to toggle between different dashboards in Fusion. I'd just add the extra modules you're interested in for the 2nd tank and connect with an AquaBus cable. If the tanks are farther apart, you can get AquaBus cables up to 125 feet long at https://www.usbfirewire.com/parts/rr-apex-xx.html

See my Apex Hardware Overview article for a list of all the available modules and what they're used for:

OP
OP
reeferericb

reeferericb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's way more expensive to buy a 2nd Apex, and it's cumbersome to toggle between different dashboards in Fusion. I'd just add the extra modules you're interested in for the 2nd tank and connect with an AquaBus cable. If the tanks are farther apart, you can get AquaBus cables up to 125 feet long at https://www.usbfirewire.com/parts/rr-apex-xx.html

See my Apex Hardware Overview article for a list of all the available modules and what they're used for:
I’m looking at buying a 25’ cable from them, it would be long enough. I think adding modules is my preference, I just thought asking for others experience couldn’t hurt. I do want to be able to see everything from a single dashboard.

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In QT, I'm just concerned with monitoring temp and pH all the time (or available at a quick glance). I use a simple thermometer for the former and a cheap pinpoint pH meter (freshly calibrated) for the latter. I then check salinity once or twice a week (I don't have much evaporation as I use a glass lid). Obviously, if I use copper, I check that level daily with my Hanna checker. Even when I QT corals, I don't bother checking Alk, Ca, or Mg. I never both with NO3 or PO4 in QT. BTW, my standard QT is a 10G tank with an HOB biowheel filter and a sponge filter. I do a 20% water change once a week if there are fish in there.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two Apex Units only because my first system got up to 22 modules and the dashboard is starting to be very cluttered so I figure get the second Apex because it was easier to see things then

Attachments

• 75FF4305-7755-4135-9463-8B53792DCFC4.png
    75FF4305-7755-4135-9463-8B53792DCFC4.png
    348.1 KB · Views: 15

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%

Back