serpent's 93 cube

serpent

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I was asked if I had a build thread on my new 93 cube. I don't share much :crossedlips:

So my journey began when we moved into our new house and what I thought was the perfect place for my 120 gallon was quickly shot down by my wife. She wanted matching book cases on each side of the fireplace. In racking my brain, I had to come up with a way to be able to get a new tank, that I felt was large enough for the fish I wanted. The only problem was I was limited by space in my office, which coincidentally is the only safe place in the house from my three little ones. I only had 36"x36" to work with. Well I went and talked to my LFS and told them what I had and what I wanted to do. We quickly started looking around for something in those dimensions. (Un)Fortunately the Marineland 150 was discontinued and the only thing that was close to those dimensions was the 93 gallon. So I purchased the tank in December and started a LONG build.

This wouldn't have been such a long build if I didn't want a fish room in the basement. With only being able to work on the room on the weekends and doing the work by myself, it is taking much longer than anticipated.

I was finally at the point this weekend that I was able to get water from the basement to the tank in my office, so I was stoked to fresh water test the new tank. This is where it all went wrong. When the water was more than half way up the tank, I started noticing micro bubbles in the seams. I wasn't so concerned at that point as I had seen others with this too. What concerned me was that the front top seam seemed to be separating from the other panel. By the time I noticed this, the water was flowing through the overflow and back down to the basement. I started investigating the front seam to see if I should be concerned. As soon as I touched the panels, I watched the seam flex and i could move the two panels of glass. I shut off all the water, grabbed as many pumps as I could and started pumping water to the basement and out the window in my office. I didn't know how long the seam would last and didn't want 93 gallons of water in our house. MY WIFE WOULD HAVE KILLED ME!!!!

I contacted Marineland today to start the RMA process on getting a new tank. Hopefully they will get that to me soon.

Here are some pictures up to this point.

Here is a picture of the tank and the custom stand I built to hold it. The doors are not on it right now as I needed all the room to work under the tank and really don't need to hide anything yet.
IMG_0932.jpg

Here is a couple of pictures of the basement being finished.
IMG_0869.jpg
IMG_0936.jpg
IMG_0934.jpg
IMG_0935.jpg

Now for a picture of the tank seam
IMG_0928.jpg

ifarmer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now for a picture of the tank seam
IMG_0928.jpg

that looks scary isn't it?
From what I was told that these bubbles eventually will go away. The two 93g cube marineland tanks that I bought had this same issues and I was very nervous.
If you do not feel comfortable, contact marineland and they will exchange a another tank for you. (the whole process might take you 2-4 weeks though)
when I bought my first 93g cube, all of my seams had the same bubbles. I contacted marineland and they approved my RMA request and had my LFS order the same tank again. however, on the new tank (2nd 93g cube) also has the same seam issues. I took the chance on the second time. After 6-7 weeks after setting it up, almost 90% of the bubbles did go away on my tank.
You can check out my 93g tank build to see some photo. https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/club-cube/166348-ifarmers-93g-reef-cube-sps-tank-4.html (look at photos on post #25 and post #71)

the 93g is a very good size and good water volume as well.
hope things will work out for you

Last edited:
OP
OP
serpent

serpent

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that looks scary isn't it?
From what I was told that these bubbles eventually will go away. The two 93g cube marineland tanks that I bought had this same issues and I was very nervous.
If you do not feel comfortable, contact marineland and they will exchange a another tank for you. (the whole process might take you 2-4 weeks though)
when I bought my first 93g cube, all of my seams had the same bubbles. I contacted marineland and they approved my RMA request and had my LFS order the same tank again. however, on the new tank (2nd 93g cube) also has the same seam issues. I took the chance on the second time. After 6-7 weeks after setting it up, almost 90% of the bubbles did go away on my tank.
You can check out my 93g tank build to see some photo. https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/club-cube/166348-ifarmers-93g-reef-cube-sps-tank-4.html (look at photos on post #25 and post #71)

the 93g is a very good size and good water volume as well.
hope things will work out for you

Thanks. I have been following your thread too. What concerned me was that I could press on the seal and see the two panes of glass move. That is the worst seam, the others just had the micro bubbles in them. Hopefully I will hear back from them today since I sent them all the information they requested. Time will tell.

tbdh20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
serpent,

If the panels moved, I would be very concerned. On the overall build, I'm jealous you have space for a basement fish room, looks great. You just need a tank worthy. Thanks for posting your build!

OP
OP
serpent

serpent

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woohoo!! Just got the confirmation of RMA, now a waiting game.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 47 40.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 28.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back