Setting up a 20gal long sump - skimmer, chaeto, both or neither?

Shizzoizzo7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're in the process of setting up our 20gal long sump. We have in the first section reefmat roller, 2nd currently open - thinking skimmer or chaeto, bubble stop, then the pump.

Would you recommend going with a skimmer, chaeto or should we add another baffle and split it allowing for both?

Thank you in advance for any advice!

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're in the process of setting up our 20gal long sump. We have in the first section reefmat roller, 2nd currently open - thinking skimmer or chaeto, bubble stop, then the pump.

Would you recommend going with a skimmer, chaeto or should we add another baffle and split it allowing for both?

Thank you in advance for any advice!
What's your dimensions? Would you have room for both? :) you could make arrangements so that you can split it down the line should you need the refugium.. Changes are that the roller and the skimmer is good enough controlling nutrients.

Back in January, I removed my roller mat completely and rely now on a large refugium and a skimmer. The fuge can be a very powerful tool indeed if you either make it big enough- or light it good enough. The fuge has other benefits than just nutrient control.

OP
OP
S

Shizzoizzo7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your dimensions? Would you have room for both? :) you could make arrangements so that you can split it down the line should you need the refugium.. Changes are that the roller and the skimmer is good enough controlling nutrients.

Back in January, I removed my roller mat completely and rely now on a large refugium and a skimmer. The fuge can be a very powerful tool indeed if you either make it big enough- or light it good enough. The fuge has other benefits than just nutrient control.
The center chamber is about 12.5"w currently. With the skimmer sitting in it there's about 7.5" of open space remaining to the side of it if split with a baffle installed it would leave about 6.5" for a small fuge.

OP
OP
S

Shizzoizzo7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

PXL_20230924_205428871.jpg

OP
OP
S

Shizzoizzo7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the baffle on the right porous? Asking as it looks like it has a network of holes.

I assume all baffles are already siliconed in?
Yes, the one is porous. There is another baffle that we did not silicone in yet that could divide the fuge/equipment space but the ones in there are siliconed.
Screenshot_20230924-223040~2.png

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back