Adding Refugium to existing sump set up - Where is best and what to change.

joelat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI All,

Looking for the best long term Nitrate solution. Currently have rather high nitrates so i have been looking at adding a Turf Scrubber, Algae Reactor or Refugium. For how easy it seems i have either settled on reworking my sump to accomdate a Fuge or to DIY my reactor into a Cheato reactor.

In peoples experience which is more effective, Pros/Cons?

I have attached a diagram of my current sump set up and how i was thinking about changing it to add the fuge. Is this the best way or could it be done differently, Could i section off my skimmer compartment and have half of it a fuge or empty the full compartment?

IMG_0380.jpeg IMG_0381.jpeg

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI All,

Looking for the best long term Nitrate solution. Currently have rather high nitrates so i have been looking at adding a Turf Scrubber, Algae Reactor or Refugium. For how easy it seems i have either settled on reworking my sump to accomdate a Fuge or to DIY my reactor into a Cheato reactor.

In peoples experience which is more effective, Pros/Cons?

I have attached a diagram of my current sump set up and how i was thinking about changing it to add the fuge. Is this the best way or could it be done differently, Could i section off my skimmer compartment and have half of it a fuge or empty the full compartment?

IMG_0380.jpeg IMG_0381.jpeg
do you happen to have a photo of the sump? I love thinking thru how to make the most of sump space. You could also consider a normal algae turf scrubber, or an upflow scrubber if you want to conserve space.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll just throw this out there. I have 3 tanks running with fuges in the sump. IME they are very poor at nutrient reduction. I keep them for the diverse life forms that live there but would never bother setting one up aimed at reducing nutrients. I have no experience with chaeto reactors or algae scrubbers so perhaps one of those methods would be bwttrw6ifd nutrient reduction is your goal?

OP
OP
J

joelat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you happen to have a photo of the sump? I love thinking thru how to make the most of sump space. You could also consider a normal algae turf scrubber, or an upflow scrubber if you want to conserve space.

I will get some photos to attach.

I’ve seen scrubbers can be very good at nitrate removal, not seen many examples in sumps though.

I have the space the dump is fairly large and I feel as though my bio media area could be made smaller to create an extra chamber.

OP
OP
J

joelat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll just throw this out there. I have 3 tanks running with fuges in the sump. IME they are very poor at nutrient reduction. I keep them for the diverse life forms that live there but would never bother setting one up aimed at reducing nutrients. I have no experience with chaeto reactors or algae scrubbers so perhaps one of those methods would be bwttrw6ifd nutrient reduction is your goal?
Thanks for this info, this is what I need to weigh up which is the most efficient method it doesn’t need to be drastic as once I get these mint rates down the stock level is fairly low, I may try one of the other methods first then and fall back on this if needed.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will get some photos to attach.

I’ve seen scrubbers can be very good at nitrate removal, not seen many examples in sumps though.

I have the space the dump is fairly large and I feel as though my bio media area could be made smaller to create an extra chamber.
if you have the sump space, give this a look. works great for me, thick mat of algae harvested weekly.

1701374666288.png

OP
OP
J

joelat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you have the sump space, give this a look. works great for me, thick mat of algae harvested weekly.

1701374666288.png
I’m in the UK just looked this isn’t available for me on Amazon, it seems that there are no scrubbers sold anywhere in this country. No wonder so many people DIY them

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does bulk reef supply not ship to UK? they also sell them. Ebay s also an option. I'm a fan of DIY, but not for more intricate equipment. Here's an easy-ish DIY for an upflow scrubber if you're so inclined:

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put it where ever you can fit it. If you can grow algae and throw it away, you can reduce nitrate and phosphate. I do not think that it matters much. For chaeto, iron is more important than anything else - just about any light will do.

OP
OP
J

joelat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update - added Cheato and a five light to the sump today. I think long term I am going to DIT a scrubber but just added this in so it could be cracking on straight away. Also the way this sump is set up creates a very loud down pipe splashing noise … any way to quieten this?
IMG_3846.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back