Refugium light recommendation for Fiji Cube 20 sump

RaymondNoodles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to add some chaeto and a refugium light to my system to help keep nitrate and phosphate down and keep ph elevated at night. The system is 1.5yrs old...57g display with 20g sump. I've been doing 15% water changes every 2-3 weeks. Nitrate 10ppm phosphate .07ppm. The fuge compartment is approx 5in wide x 6in long x 12in tall (water level).

IMG_2333.jpeg

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For that size, something affordable from Amazon would do the trick I think. You want something small and focused otherwise you’re gonna get a lot of light spillage with algae growth in the rest of the sump. Maybe something like this. You can also add barndoors to prevent or reduce spillage, I did this with my current build if you’d like some ideas.

OP
OP
RaymondNoodles

RaymondNoodles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For that size, something affordable from Amazon would do the trick I think. You want something small and focused otherwise you’re gonna get a lot of light spillage with algae growth in the rest of the sump. Maybe something like this. You can also add barndoors to prevent or reduce spillage, I did this with my current build if you’d like some ideas.

Light spillage is definitely a concern. Thanks for the "barn door" idea. Surely doesn't need to be anything fancy or high power. This one seems to have the right light spectrum and would be a good size.

flatlander93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a h80 by Kessil on that exact sump. Works good but not any better than the anke one I bought off Amazon. I’d get the Amazon. Fits very well and works great.

OP
OP
RaymondNoodles

RaymondNoodles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a h80 by Kessil on that exact sump. Works good but not any better than the anke one I bought off Amazon. I’d get the Amazon. Fits very well and works great.
Do you mean Acke? This one?

ACKE LED Grow Lights Full Spectrum,Plant Lights,Growing Lamps 12W for Indoor Plants,Hydropoincs https://a.co/d/2izmEeU

Any pics of it installed? Thanks!

flatlander93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No pics. I just sat it on the lip. I thought the Kessil was an upgrade and it was a lateral move. Both great lights tho.

flatlander93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine used for like 80 bucks. I don’t think they are three hundred dollars new. That’s the big one. It would be much better.

OP
OP
RaymondNoodles

RaymondNoodles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a cheap light on Amazon that checked all my boxes. Size and spectrum were the most important. The spectrum actually matches that of high end fuge lights. 10 watts max seems like a good amount for this size fuge. The fact that it has 5 intensity options, color spectrum options, and a timer (3, 6 and 12hr) were bonuses.

I don’t mind paying up for equipment (running 2 Kessil A360x’s on this 57g) but I felt like all the fuge lights I found were too big for this small footprint and I didn’t want light spill and unwanted algae growth. So far I’m very happy with the Amazon light. I’ve been running it for 3hrs per night to start slow and make sure I don’t bottom out my nutrients. Here’s a link to the light…

Amsuns Small Grow Lights for Indoor Plants,Clip/USB/Mini/Desk Plant Light with Timer Function Spectrum,Adjustable Single Head Led Lamp for Vegetable/Succulent/Herb/Seedlings/Greenhouse/Garden https://a.co/d/cbSTZGl

I found a local reefer who gave me a bag of chaeto and it’s been up and running for a week. It made me a bit nervous putting his chaeto in my sump. Hope I don’t end up with any unwanted pests or parasites. Flushed a few bristle worms. They were half dead by the time I got home anyways. Not sure what’s the best way to transport chaeto. He just threw it in a zip lock bag with no water so the bristle worms and micro brittle starfish were all dying by the time I got home (40 min drive).

Going to check nitrate and phosphate to tomorrow. Ironically the tank is going through a hair algae bloom, so I’m hoping this helps, as well as providing a place for pods to thrive. I dosed a jar of pods last week and have been adding phyto daily. I see a bunch of pods in the chaeto and sump in general. Also added a tuxedo urchin a couple weeks ago and he’s been munching away in the DT. Added a pic of him next to Lenny the Blenny.

Attachments

• IMG_2462.png
    IMG_2462.png
    207.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2461.png
    IMG_2461.png
    435.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2433.jpeg
    IMG_2433.jpeg
    219.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2378.jpeg
    IMG_2378.jpeg
    230.8 KB · Views: 23

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back