Setting up a 60G Long

  • Thread starter Thread starter navillusii
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

navillusii

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 21, 2015
Messages
41
Reaction score
1
Location
Trenton
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or something around this gallon, its about 4 foot long. Any way.

I'd like to set it up with a sump, 10-15 gallon. And I've got some questions about protein skimmers and filters.
So far I've come up with using a CPR CS100(800gh) Overflow to get the water to the sump. Inside of the sump I'd like to have an AquaMaxx ConeS CO-1 and then have it return with a pump around 800 gph.

Is this correct, smart or otherwise?

--Can and how would I use a Aquarium Pharmaceuticals® API FilStar XP Canister Filter - M (Up To 75 Gallons)

-- Should I use a Hang on Back Filter?

-- What could be added to create better water quality, IE Algae in the sump making it a refugedium?
 
If you use a sump there is no reason to use a hang on back filter or canister filter. You just use a filter sock/media bags and put them in the sump instead. Yes, you could add chaetomorpha algae to absorb some nutrients.

Also, use a bigger sump if you can fit it. A 20L (30" x 12" x 12" ) is a great size for a 4ft tank. You might want a slightly larger return pump as you are going to lose some GPH due to the water having to travel up a few feet. I'd look for something around 1000gph.
 
Thank you for that Info.
By chance, can you run a line from the bottom of the tank straight into your fuge, instead of using a skimmer to get the water out?
 
You can if the bottom panel of glass is drill-able. You would still need some kind of overflow box though.

If you want the drain line to go through the tank, this would be the easiest way. Just drill a hole through the back panel and attach an overflow box using this kit. Again you have to make sure the back panel is drill-able though.

http://www.glass-holes.com/700-gph-Overflow-Box-Complete-Kit-gh700kit.htm
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 8.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new