Setting up a Aquatop Recife ECO 40

ReelDillon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I'm new to R2R and getting back into the aquarium hobby. The Aquatop Recife ECO 40 caught my eye and I pulled the trigger on ordering one last night. I did some reading on what others have upgraded so I've already ordered some add-ons. My plan if to keep coral and some fish. When I say coral, I mean Hammer, Frogspawn, Zoas, a few Acros. I think I still need a circulation pump and was thinking of the Red Sea ReefWave 25 Gyre, but I don't know if that's over kill for this 40gal. I would love to hear feedback on what I've picked so far and any ideas for what I haven't thought of yet. Also need suggestions for filter media to go in the inTank basket. Here is the list of what I'm planning to start with as of now:

Tank Components
- Aquatop Recife ECO 40 Aquarium w/ Grey Cabinet
- Red Sea ReefLED 50w Light
- Red Sea ReefLED 50 Universal Mounting Arm
- inTank Media Basket for Aquatop Recife ECO 40
- inTank Filter Floss Holder for Aquatop Recife ECO 40

Tank contents
- Red Sea Coral Pro Salt
- CaribSea LifeRock Coral Tree
- CaribSea Arag - Alive Special Grade Reef Sand 20lbs

Testing / Maintenance
- Flipper Magnet Cleaner
- Hanna Marine Salinity Teaster
- Red Sea Reef Foundation Pro Test Kit
- Red Sea Algae Control Test Kit
- Coralife Digital Aquarium Thermometer

Happy Reefing!

Reefer Brent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I'm new to R2R and getting back into the aquarium hobby. The Aquatop Recife ECO 40 caught my eye and I pulled the trigger on ordering one last night. I did some reading on what others have upgraded so I've already ordered some add-ons. My plan if to keep coral and some fish. When I say coral, I mean Hammer, Frogspawn, Zoas, a few Acros. I think I still need a circulation pump and was thinking of the Red Sea ReefWave 25 Gyre, but I don't know if that's over kill for this 40gal. I would love to hear feedback on what I've picked so far and any ideas for what I haven't thought of yet. Also need suggestions for filter media to go in the inTank basket. Here is the list of what I'm planning to start with as of now:

Tank Components
- Aquatop Recife ECO 40 Aquarium w/ Grey Cabinet
- Red Sea ReefLED 50w Light
- Red Sea ReefLED 50 Universal Mounting Arm
- inTank Media Basket for Aquatop Recife ECO 40
- inTank Filter Floss Holder for Aquatop Recife ECO 40

Tank contents
- Red Sea Coral Pro Salt
- CaribSea LifeRock Coral Tree
- CaribSea Arag - Alive Special Grade Reef Sand 20lbs

Testing / Maintenance
- Flipper Magnet Cleaner
- Hanna Marine Salinity Teaster
- Red Sea Reef Foundation Pro Test Kit
- Red Sea Algae Control Test Kit
- Coralife Digital Aquarium Thermometer

Happy Reefing!
Do you like your in tank floss holder? I have already cut the walls off mine as it is more fit to the 24g tank. It let too much detritus around the floss. Thinking of going back to the sponge as well because the water level changes too much now.

OP
OP
ReelDillon

ReelDillon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you like your in tank floss holder? I have already cut the walls off mine as it is more fit to the 24g tank. It let too much detritus around the floss. Thinking of going back to the sponge as well because the water level changes too much now.
Hello,

It is working pretty well for me. I change the floss every few days and it doesn't seem to effect flow. I am looking into the acrylic filter sock holder one of the other members makes for the Recife 40 though. I have the InTank media basket in chamber 2, but I think there are better options. Not sure with what yet, but i would like to upgrade the skimmer and figure out the right media mix.

OP
OP
ReelDillon

ReelDillon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this tank overall and am really happy with the way it looks as far as they display. I wish it had just a little more room in the filtration area. I feel like I'm cramming to much in as it is and still want to upgrade the skimmer. There are a couple things I think could use improvement, the stand is a little flimsy in my opinion. I hate that it has diagonal flex even if you are just scrubbing the glass. Also, the return pump set up just feels cheap in all aspects.

I have also decided to change up some of my equipment. I wasn't happy with the way the ReefLED 50 mounted. It didn't reach out far enough to actually center over the display and the false wall isn't strong enough to hold it. To replace it, I'm going with an AI Hydra 32. I'm also switching out the Reefwave 25 for an AI Nero 3. Next will likely be a skimmer upgrade and a return pump.

Reefer Brent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this tank overall and am really happy with the way it looks as far as they display. I wish it had just a little more room in the filtration area. I feel like I'm cramming to much in as it is and still want to upgrade the skimmer. There are a couple things I think could use improvement, the stand is a little flimsy in my opinion. I hate that it has diagonal flex even if you are just scrubbing the glass. Also, the return pump set up just feels cheap in all aspects.

I have also decided to change up some of my equipment. I wasn't happy with the way the ReefLED 50 mounted. It didn't reach out far enough to actually center over the display and the false wall isn't strong enough to hold it. To replace it, I'm going with an AI Hydra 32. I'm also switching out the Reefwave 25 for an AI Nero 3. Next will likely be a skimmer upgrade and a return pump.
So many changes to make to this tank! I will have to set up a build thread too

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Any recent pictures of it?

jeffpopple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also used the Nero 3 in my Recife 40. It worked well. I had the Red Sea 90 LED in it. It reached just fine. The 50 must be physically smaller. I used the JBJ HOB skimmer, Tunze ATO, and Sicce return pump. Here is a picture early in the build.
DJI_20211226_125751_033.jpeg

bondno9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey OP how is the tank holding up? Any additional upgrades you do? If so what? Would love an update with some pics.

Edit: Also what do you use for your filtration? I saw you purchased the filter floss holder and media basket.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back