Setting up a NEW reef aquarium for $______ or less. Can it be done?

What do you think you could put a brand new (20g+) tank together for?

• $250 or less

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • $250 - $350

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • $350 - $500

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • $500 - $750

Votes: 15 35.7%
  • $750+

Votes: 9 21.4%

• Total voters

vabben

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said $750+, heck if $1,500+ was an option id say that. Waterbox 20 and cabinet, XR15, MP10 and I'm already over $1,500.

Not to mention if its a beginner, RODI, Salt, mixing station, test kits, water change items. The list goes on and on.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t know what you have going on in the back area of that WB but I have a 14g IM. First section is media rack with filter floss and carbon, second section is in tank refugium with light shining through small cut out in back of tank, third is return, heater, ato

I also have a Nero 3 and really like it FYI
No room on the back. Sitting on my office desk. Plus this is a regular tank. Plan is to upgrade to a WB

woodyarmadillo

The other Tim
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No room on the back. Sitting on my office desk. Plus this is a regular tank. Plan is to upgrade to a WB
Oh okay I thought you meant for when you get a WB.
CCF9DEC7-C3F3-483B-848F-AD940E22D053.jpeg

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh okay I thought you meant for when you get a WB.
CCF9DEC7-C3F3-483B-848F-AD940E22D053.jpeg
Won’t have room behind the WB either and have considered using the rear sump but not sure enough space to hold enough macroalgae.

Are you able to control nutrients. Hard to tell from the pic. Looks like you have plugs but I’m open to suggestions. Rather have a clean look.

woodyarmadillo

The other Tim
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Won’t have room behind the WB either and have considered using the rear sump but not sure enough space to hold enough macroalgae.

Are you able to control nutrients. Hard to tell from the pic. Looks like you have plugs but I’m open to suggestions. Rather have a clean look.
It’s only a few weeks old, I can’t say for sure how much it’s helping yet. It can only hold a small amount of micro algae in that section but it’s also only a 14g. I had the space, it was pretty cheap, and it’s definitely clean looking, that’s why I did it. It’s a penninsula and the sump section is against the wall. I pulled the tank away from the wall and cut out a small square of black backing to let the light through, attached a chaeto max light with velcro and pushed back up against the wall, you can’t see the light or cords or anything. Bought an in tank basket and I put a ball of chaeto in there. Lights come on at night. Very nice looking in my opinion. I have a small clean tank, I hide all wires and hide my small ATO under the desk behind a fake wall.

A separate refugium tank would certainly control nutrients better, but I’m mostly concerned about keeping it clean, uncomplicated and simple.

BA4DD83D-4F07-48D3-8CEA-A6CE07EC9D30.png

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s only a few weeks old, I can’t say for sure how much it’s helping yet. It can only hold a small amount of micro algae in that section but it’s also only a 14g. I had the space, it was pretty cheap, and it’s definitely clean looking, that’s why I did it. It’s a penninsula and the sump section is against the wall. I pulled the tank away from the wall and cut out a small square of black backing to let the light through, attached a chaeto max light with velcro and pushed back up against the wall, you can’t see the light or cords or anything. Bought an in tank basket and I put a ball of chaeto in there. Lights come on at night. Very nice looking in my opinion. I have a small clean tank, I hide all wires and hide my small ATO under the desk behind a fake wall.

A separate refugium tank would certainly control nutrients better, but I’m mostly concerned about keeping it clean, uncomplicated and simple.

BA4DD83D-4F07-48D3-8CEA-A6CE07EC9D30.png

Was considering a Tunz Chic submersible light hung vertically but only if the middle section can house enough to make it work. HOB scrubber an option but that’s likely too noisy and I’d have to figure out how to suspend it within the back chamber plus my main need for a refugium now is co2 removal to raise pH. House co2 is excessive and keeps my pH under 7.8.

woodyarmadillo

The other Tim
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was considering a Tunz Chic submersible light hung vertically but only if the middle section can house enough to make it work. HOB scrubber an option but that’s likely too noisy and I’d have to figure out how to suspend it within the back chamber plus my main need for a refugium now is co2 removal to raise pH. House co2 is excessive and keeps my pH under 7.8.
I believe the small in tank fuge I have is mostly just providing a home for copepods which is a good thing. I’m sure it helps a little with nutrient export but can’t be much.

That said plenty of people with very large tanks run only filter socks and don’t have any problems. One of my buddies on here runs a large acro dominated tank with no skimmer, no fuge, only filter socks. I wouldn’t go way out of your way to add additional filtration unless you absolutely need it.

Here’s some photos of his tank

5A390EFE-A38D-46C0-9859-BD40A5BB9137.jpeg
497282BE-2A61-4DB2-AD0D-CFF993C6E070.jpeg

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the small in tank fuge I have is mostly just providing a home for copepods which is a good thing. I’m sure it helps a little with nutrient export but can’t be much.

That said plenty of people with very large tanks run only filter socks and don’t have any problems. One of my buddies on here runs a large acro dominated tank with no skimmer, no fuge, only filter socks. I wouldn’t go way out of your way to add additional filtration unless you absolutely need it.

Here’s some photos of his tank

5A390EFE-A38D-46C0-9859-BD40A5BB9137.jpeg
497282BE-2A61-4DB2-AD0D-CFF993C6E070.jpeg
I’m going old school natural method and let detritus decompose and need a solution that solves nitrates which carbon dosing at one point replaced the Fuge but it doesn’t solve my excess co2 and why I need a larger solution for that. Luckily tank sit on one end which means I can black that out and place a HOB Fuge there but I’m still testing ideas out with current setup.

Not placing sticks in a small box where dosing and ATO are a challenge due to space constraints surrounding the tank. I’ll consider that for my main build. Assuming I solve my co2 issue.

I will never run a tank with socks as I want to enjoy my living art vs being a slave to it. Cups with floss I’d consider. Not much effort to toss floss. Been doing that since the early 70s.

woodyarmadillo

The other Tim
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going old school natural method and let detritus decompose and need a solution that solves nitrates which carbon dosing at one point replaced the Fuge but it doesn’t solve my excess co2 and why I need a larger solution for that. Luckily tank sit on one end which means I can black that out and place a HOB Fuge there but I’m still testing ideas out with current setup.

Not placing sticks in a small box where dosing and ATO are a challenge due to space constraints surrounding the tank. I’ll consider that for my main build. Assuming I solve my co2 issue.

I will never run a tank with socks as I want to enjoy my living art vs being a slave to it. Cups with floss I’d consider. Not much effort to toss floss. Been doing that since the early 70s.
I’m still a beginner but I switched from socks to floss pretty quickly. A lot easier in my opinion.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll assume RO/DI and tests kits are already in hand.

20 gallon long for modding to an AIO = $50
Black acrylic for filter chamber = $34
Maxi jet 400/600 for chamber and circulation = $20
Heater = $25
Screen cover kit = $40
One 24 inch LED bar = $170
Dry Marco rock 10 lbs = $30
Live rock ( 17 lb nano package, Gulf LR) = $184
20 lb bag live sand = $20
IO salt bucket = $60

So right around $600...add a bit for epoxy/silicone/filter floss/carbon/plumbing parts for directional return. Also this tank would sit on existing furniture/countertop. I didn't factor in how to hang the lights, but heavy fishing line and eye screws come to mind.

Money could be saved if you could source less live rock locally and use more dry.

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 gallon from Aqueon, HOB filter, small LED light, heater, sand, rock, xenia and a clownfish. Easily under $250. Of course, if you want a really nice setup that you can keep better fish/corals in, the cost goes up by a significant amount. Especially if you don't want to DIY plumbing and the stand, you'll have a rough time keeping it cheap. This hobby isn't as expensive as some say it is, but it certainly isn't very cheap either.

-XENOMORPH-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did a 2nd tank. For macro tank.
Had my old evo 13.5 cut out the plastic filter section for more room.
Had a HOB. Tidal 55 searchchem.
Put already established Biohome media in back of it from WB X90 . Strip of filter floss
Used old fluval light.

Purchased: $25 live sand. Caribbean aragalive special grade.

Purchased flat top: $25 etsy.

Purchased calurpa Prolifera $22

Purchased 2 dry rocks: $20

Purchased heater: $25 eheim Jager 75 watt.
So....----> $117.

But. Had some stuff already....so....?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back