Setting up a QT

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will need to be in the other tank for a few weeks minimum, I generally run media for at least two months before moving it to a new tank. You’ll need to rely on “bacteria in a bottle” like Dr. Tim’s. I used Microbacter years ago, I don’t recall that the results were all that stellar, but maybe my memory is faulty.

The microbacter op is using is xlm which is only a few years old. Not sure if its different bacteria than microbacter7 or if its just much more concentrated.

OP
OP
RWhitt907

RWhitt907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will need to be in the other tank for a few weeks minimum, I generally run media for at least two months before moving it to a new tank. You’ll need to rely on “bacteria in a bottle” like Dr. Tim’s. I used Microbacter years ago, I don’t recall that the results were all that stellar, but maybe my memory is faulty.
Would you recommend adding all my fish to QT over the course of a few days? Also not sure what to do with the wrasses since it's a bare bottom QT and they sleep in the sand

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you recommend adding all my fish to QT over the course of a few days? Also not sure what to do with the wrasses since it's a bare bottom QT and they sleep in the sand

PS you can add silica based sand instead I'm pretty sure.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes, you can use silica sand, some people put it in a plastic tupperware container to keep it from blowing around the tank.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For Brooklynella, could I use Ruby Rally in the QT tank while using copper as well?

Yes, but I always prefer to use one medication at a time to reduce overall stress.

OP
OP
RWhitt907

RWhitt907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank itself would be large enough, however, the real issue is the biological filtration system - if you don't have enough beneficial bacteria in the tank, the ammonia will shoot up and the fish will die. Can you move filter media (non-calcareous) from your DT? Filter sponges work well if you have them.

Jay
I've got some rubble in my refugium that's been in there probably 6 months. Could I throw that in my QT and top it off with old tank water after a water change?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got some rubble in my refugium that's been in there probably 6 months. Could I throw that in my QT and top it off with old tank water after a water change?
Tank water itself has little to no beneficial bacteria in it - this type of bacteria lives on surfaces. Coral rubble will work, but will absorb some copper and then should not be used again in tanks with invertebrates. I would use the rubble and augment it with some bacteria in a bottle.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back