Finalizing Stock List for 220 Reef

dooz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank size is 50x32x32, plan to have plenty of rock caves and hiding places. I understand this bio-load is on the heavy side for a 220, but I plan to remove a few fish off this list as I continue to narrow it down. I know the Blue Throat / Cross Hatch Trigger is a risk (and can eat inverts) and the PBT could potentially be the most aggressive tankmate but these are at the top of my list and really want them. I'd also like to get opinions on the Halichoeres Hortulanus wrasse and if this larger wrasse can be successful in a reef tank.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Ignites or resplendent Anthias (5)
Pajama cardinal fish (7) or Bangaii (only 2?)
Midas Benny or Bicolor
Starry blenny
Yashi shrimp goby
Helfrichi fire fish
Ocellaris clownfish (already have)
Snowflake clownfish (already have)
Possum Wrasse (already have)
Labouts fairy wrasse
McCoskers flasher wrasse
Melanurus Wrasse
Lineatus Wrasse
Green Coris Wrasse
Halichoeres Hortulanus (too big? Eats inverts?)
Flame or Potters Angel
White tail Kole tang
Yellow Tang
Purple Tang
Powder Blue Tang
Blue Throat or Cross Hatch Trigger

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hortulanis tend to be some of the bigger meaner halichoeres wrasse and will decimate cuc and even small fish. Green coris will also be hell on cuc at full size sometimes. I'd go for the mated pair of bangais over the pajama having owned both. Bangais are far more active and honestly I think you'd notice 2 bangais more than 7 pajamas. The trigger will also be hell on cuc.

Do you plan on having coral? I think this list is mostly reasonable though the bioload will be pretty high and you'll DEFINITELY want a deeper sandbed and a tight fitting lid. You've also got a LOT of open swimmers and not a lot else which may compete for space.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank size is 50x32x32, plan to have plenty of rock caves and hiding places. I understand this bio-load is on the heavy side for a 220, but I plan to remove a few fish off this list as I continue to narrow it down. I know the Blue Throat / Cross Hatch Trigger is a risk (and can eat inverts) and the PBT could potentially be the most aggressive tankmate but these are at the top of my list and really want them. I'd also like to get opinions on the Halichoeres Hortulanus wrasse and if this larger wrasse can be successful in a reef tank.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Ignites or resplendent Anthias (5)
Pajama cardinal fish (7) or Bangaii (only 2?)
Midas Benny or Bicolor
Starry blenny
Yashi shrimp goby
Helfrichi fire fish
Ocellaris clownfish (already have)
Snowflake clownfish (already have)
Possum Wrasse (already have)
Labouts fairy wrasse
McCoskers flasher wrasse
Melanurus Wrasse
Lineatus Wrasse
Green Coris Wrasse
Halichoeres Hortulanus (too big? Eats inverts?)
Flame or Potters Angel
White tail Kole tang
Yellow Tang
Purple Tang
Powder Blue Tang
Blue Throat or Cross Hatch Trigger
With your possum wrasse ignore the Green ‘Coris’ Wrasse (Truly this species is Halichoeres chloropterus and not a Coris species albeit one of its closest relatives is of that Coris genus). I also wouldn’t do the Hortulanus for the same issue. These two species will likely become aggressive long term and go for your other wrasses you want.
Also all 3 Halichoeres species (The 3rd is the melanurus) you’ve listed will likely decimate CUC once they age.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back