Setting up a rimless tank for the first time, couple questions!

Amaroq

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently picked up a Seapora Crystal 48g (36"x18"x18") and I'm getting closer to finally swapping over from my current 40B set up (big upgrade I know haha) I had intended on putting the the new tank on a basic black metal tube stand but I realize rimless tanks require the bottom to be fully supported. My intentions were to just lay some 3/4" plywood ontop of the metal stand to fully support the aquarium base, do you think that would be sufficient? I currently have a bunch of 1/4" plywood laying around that I was hoping maybe I could simply stack up to get that 3/4" thickness or even thicker, but I don't honestly know if the strength would be comparable to one solid piece of 3/4" plywood? Lastly the tank itself came with a 3mm leveling mat, I had been told by the LFS I ordered it through that it was not included but it ended up actuallying being included. While I was waiting for the aquarium to arrive I had placed an order online for the IM leveling mat that is a bit thicker at 5mm. Do you think it would be beneficial to use the 5mm over the 3mm, or even stack them up for 8mm? Thanks!

Arthacker87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my tank (250+ gallon acrylic) its 8ft long so I used 1/2in plywood for any gaps in the metal stand top and then foam board to have it spread even. I always lean on safe end. Do the 5mm if you can't return it or don't care about the extra expense ( you can easily do the 3mm i think if it came with it, it should be ok).

OP
OP
A

Amaroq

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! okay so I guess I'm over thinking this a bit then if you only used 1/2" plywood under a tank five times larger then mine with no issues! :D Yeah I figured the 3mm would be fine since that is what the manufacture provides but since I have the 5mm already I guess I might as well use it for a bit of extra padding. Do you think there would be any benefit to using a portion of the 3mm pad between the plywood and metal stand? I'm hesistant to want to screw the plywood down into the metal stand so I thought maybe that little bit of foam might add a bit of grip and possibly help it 'self-level' a hair better? Obviously I'd still use the 5mm pad under the aquarium itself on top of the plywood.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny im in the process of upgrading my 40B and it was between this or the landen 90P.

Ultimately, I decided to have CDA build me a custom 36x18x18 in 12mm starphire :)

Without seeing your stands design its hard to make a reccomendation.
You should secure the plywood to the frame anyway possible, the foam is not needed between the wood, only as a leveling mat directly under the tank.
If the 1/4" ply has too much play, double it up and then screw it down, making sure to finish the screws below the surface of the plywood.

OP
OP
A

Amaroq

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there is no concern of the screws weakening the integrity of the metal stand itself? The stand is just a standard black tube metal stand, identical to this one.
Hamilton_Manufacturing_Tubular_Stand_48_x_12_35007_grande.jpg

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend drilling clearance holes in the angle pieces (same diameter as the screws used) and fastening the screws into the plywood from the bottom. If you are using 1/4" plywood then six(6) screws of 1/4" length will be fine; two each on front & back at 1/3 spacing, one each on sides at midpoint.
Just make certain that you are not using screws longer than 1/4" so there is zero possibility they protrude through the plywood upper surface.
The screws don't have to be torqued down super-tight, just lightly snugged. Their purpose is to prevent the plywood/tank from sliding off the stand. You are not trying to force the plywood to conform to the stand shape below.
Something like #6 x 1/4" Pan Head Stainless Steel Metal Screws should work great.
Found these...

1589471862114.png

Last edited:

Arthacker87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed with above. Security is key. I have little prongs that keep my stuff in place. And no reason to use the mat between plywood and frame as stated above

Back