Setting up a small frag tank ZooMed Lowboy

cjgibson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All, I just ordered a small frag tank through my LFS. It's a ZooMed Lowboy 48x24x10 This will be used as frag tank, mostly lps and softies, but maybe id like to try a few SPS down the road. I'm wondering what kind of flow I would need for this little tank and what ump and powerheads and lighting you guys would go with?? Any tips/tricks for a project like this.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cjgibson

cjgibson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With this being an AIO what would you want the turnover rate to be? Trying to get a return pump picked out.

Jimmeh lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had a tank this shallow, so I'm kinda spitballing here. Maybe sicce 1(251gph) with a random flow generator on the return? Plus a small powerhead on the bottom for detritus. Maybe not even necessary, you could just turkey bast the bottom. Experimentation time haha.

915MANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All, I just ordered a small frag tank through my LFS. Its an Advanced Acrylics AIO tank. 24x20x6. This will be used as frag tank, mostly lps and softies, but maybe id like to try a few SPS down the road. I'm wondering what kind of flow I would need for this little tank and what ump and powerheads and lighting you guys would go with?? Any tips/tricks for a project like this.

ITS A NICE TANK! POST SOME PICS WHEN YOU GET IT

OP
OP
cjgibson

cjgibson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Trying to figure out the turnover rate for the return pump and what power heads. The tank should be in within a week or two now. Im super excited to get this set up.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Trying to figure out the turnover rate for the return pump and what power heads. The tank should be in within a week or two now. Im super excited to get this set up.

On a regular reef you'd want about 10 times per hour thru your filtration system (sump), but you may not need that much on a frag setup.

If you can hold off for the Kessil AP9X, it would should do the job in lights, but hard to beat a ATI t5 Sunpower.

That 17.5" wide one would do the job

OP
OP
cjgibson

cjgibson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a good question tbh. Im not sure. I will find out soon enough i guess and repost the results here.

OP
OP
cjgibson

cjgibson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up the tank last night and when i opened the box i noticed the trim around the top had a crack. I called zoomed and they asked me to email some pictures and they would send me a replacement trim piece. I also decided to water test. I filled it up to about a half inch from the top. Come back the next morning and the tank only has an inch of water left in it. So now the process of getting a replacement begins.

ld762

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aw that sucks. My first tank cracked when I received it too. Keep us posted.

OP
OP
cjgibson

cjgibson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far they are wanting me to send a video of it leaking, I already sent pictures of the bad silicone job but I guess thats not good enough, so time to get my garage floor wet all over again.

ld762

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that makes sense. Their name throws me off. Does the silicon application look clean or messy like that of the 10g we normally see at Petsmart?

OP
OP
cjgibson

cjgibson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt call it a neat silicone job but i wouldn't call it messy either. It looks like maybe a lack of silicone to be honest.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back