Setting up MP40's in a 5 foot tank

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to know how members on R2R have their MP40's setup. The tank should be similar dimensions. 5 foot long, 2 feet wide, 2 feet tall. I have a 2" sandbed and rock wall centered in the tank.

Please discuss placement, modes to run in, power, duration, and reef controller intergration. Specifically with the GHL Profilux 3.

My current setup is 2 MP40's WQD. One centered at each end a few inches below the surface. The left side is on quick weak pulse, and the right is on slow strong pulse.

Thanks.

Last edited:

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a five foot tank, but it's only 90 gallons....18" wide. When it was just two MP40's (for years), I had them on opposite ends, about 2/3's the way up, and the left one more towards the front of the tank, and the right one more towards the back of the tank. Note these are old MP's....maybe from 2006....with the old controllers. I run Reef Crest....the yellow light on the old controllers, with the power turned up to about 75%. I don't have a fancy controller....an old ReefKeeper 2 that simply powers the MP's.

Recently I added small powerheads in the rear of the tank and now moved both MP's towards the front of the tank. Here's a lousy picture I just took, as lights are just turning on.

OP
OP
stevo01

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a tough subject and there is a lot of variables. Its also tough to setup
I have a five foot tank, but it's only 90 gallons....18" wide. When it was just two MP40's (for years), I had them on opposite ends, about 2/3's the way up, and the left one more towards the front of the tank, and the right one more towards the back of the tank. Note these are old MP's....maybe from 2006....with the old controllers. I run Reef Crest....the yellow light on the old controllers, with the power turned up to about 75%. I don't have a fancy controller....an old ReefKeeper 2 that simply powers the MP's.

Recently I added small powerheads in the rear of the tank and now moved both MP's towards the front of the tank. Here's a lousy picture I just took, as lights are just turning on.

Thats great feedback. The setup aside from reef crest is how I initially set it up. What was it about the reef crest setting that you liked?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I liked the constant variation in flow.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran 2 mp40s and a gyre in my 4x2x2 tank. Gyre on side, 40s on back wall.

Ran them all in constant mode at 90%. There was plenty of turbulence and I figure why not get most out of the pumps flow wise. Didn't run at 100 just to reduce wear.

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I run the reef crest too, corals seem to do better with the random changes in flow.

kamikazereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran 2 mp40s and a gyre in my 4x2x2 tank. Gyre on side, 40s on back wall.

Ran them all in constant mode at 90%. There was plenty of turbulence and I figure why not get most out of the pumps flow wise. Didn't run at 100 just to reduce wear.
Wow man got a video of that flow !!!
This is a lot of flow probably 150 time you tank size haha

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I haven't run MP's on this type of setup, but here's a free bump hoping for more input. :) #reefsquad

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not an MP user, but I run 2 gyres on a 120g 4x4x2.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 42.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back