Setup Feedback 220g

ZsWithTheFishes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up a 220 gallon and I'm looking for feedback on my gear selection so far. It's a 6-foot tank - 30 in tall with overflows on both sides. I plan on doing softies and LPS... probably no SPS or at least not for a long time.

Lighting:
Aquatic life 61" T5 HO Hybrid LED 4x80W-Lamp Mounting System Fixture
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/60-h...re-with-led-mounting-system-aquatic-life.html
  • I really like the options that I get with this lamp. I have a lot of time to get the system up and running, and as such I have some time to think about the lights I will install.

Sump:
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/ruby-sump-36-trigger-systems.html
  • I had this on hand, a might upgrade in the far far future.

Return pump:
Skimz Leopard L90
  • I know... skimz. It's not like it's a skimmer, ok? 2375 GPH 13 FT max head.

Stand:
41 inch ZsBuilt masterpiece. Just look at that beauty. I made the middle support offset so that I can access my sump a little bit easier than my last stand. It's backwards because I couldn't be home to see the tank be put in place but it is what it is what it is. At least I can access the bulkheads underneath. At least I will never be able to access essentially anything in the tank without a ladder or possibly tying myself to the ceiling... wait a second it looks cool anyway at that height.
20190219_212508.jpg

For the powerheads I was thinking dual gyre xf 350. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these. I like the distributed flow pitch and the potential to program them together.

The skimmer is still up for debate. Initially I'm thinking a Reef Octopus since I have had good experience with those. I am intrigued by the LifeReef Venturi though... I'm not sure if they will fit in my sump, but I have a little bit of space for some increased height and I like the idea of an interchangeable pump.

For water supply I finally folded and got the BRS 7 stage 200gpd deal. I have too many tanks to be waiting around for water. My discus tank is going to be happy in the meantime . The thing does appear to be leaking slightly, but I'm happy with it so far overall.

I know I'm missing something here. I suppose I can update later.

Other facts that may or may not affect the gear:
  • I'm not sure if this affects gear at all other than I think the distributed powerhead will help, but I run my other reef bare bottom and I really like it. It just looks cleaner oddly enough, and though I don't like the green hair algae currently growing on the bottom in that one (yeah I was using tap water until my new RO unit got here), I do like seeing all the little critters on the bottom. And with all that algae I'm sure never seeing any nitrates.

Last edited:

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting: Nice. I'd recommend Radion G4 Pros or GHL Mitras. :)

Sump: I'm worried this is a bit small for your tank. Biggest concern is making sure you have enough volume left over to handle the backflow from the display when power is cut.

Pump: I'm not familiar with this one but make sure you have enough GPH running through your sump at 6' of head or whatever your head height is. There are calculators that can include all the elbows and rest of your plumbing. It's amazing how much head is lost in the plumbing alone. I like at least 3-4x turnover. The rest of your flow can come from powerheads in the display.

Stand: Looking good! You're going to need that stool with that 30" tank height! Get ready for some wet armpits. lol ;) Maybe add an acrylic tray inside to catch spills.

Powerheads: That'll work.

Skimmer: Still a big fan of LifeReef. :)

OP
OP
Z

ZsWithTheFishes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pump: I'm not familiar with this one but make sure you have enough GPH running through your sump at 6' of head or whatever your head height is. There are calculators that can include all the elbows and rest of your plumbing. It's amazing how much head is lost in the plumbing alone. I like at least 3-4x turnover. The rest of your flow can come from powerheads in the display.

I haven't completely worked out the plumbing yet... I will definitely be coming here for advice. Initially I'm thinking of PVC ing everything down to the sump and using flex hose for the return. I know the 90 degree angles affect the flow and so maybe the flex tubing will help. In any case I'm going to include a mock-up on here before I start gluing - I have a lot of experience in the hobby but this is my first below-the-tank sump/fuge (that might sound weird because it probably is... Let's just say I have a lot of ladders).

OP
OP
Z

ZsWithTheFishes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump: I'm worried this is a bit small for your tank. Biggest concern is making sure you have enough volume left over to handle the backflow from the display when power is cut.

Yes I have put a lot of thought into this. What I'm going to do is paint the bottom of the stand with pond liner and have a drain line running through the floor and to the outside in the event of issues. I've calculated the volume and it will hold 30 gallons minus the footprint of the sump. I already have a line that runs through the floor and down a hill outside that I use for siphoning with a quick disconnect so hooking up to it will be easy (this is my sixth tank in this room, water changes are a breeze even for the mbunas that get a weekly vacuum). I could have a 75 gallon sump and still do the same though, because I'm lucky enough to have ...various friends and family to remind me that "those floors are expensive". I hear it in my sleep sometimes, possibly because someone is saying it when I'm sleeping to make sure it sinks in.

"Those floors are solid wood"
20190226_214508.jpg

"... and expensive."

Last edited:

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use a more reliable return pump. The Skimz might be great, but it will take 5 years to find out. Use a pump that has already been great for 5 years. Laguna or Fluval are my go-to pumps.

Light is best-of-breed. I would not change it.

Sump might be small, but you know this already.

LifeReef skimmers are monsters. Love them. You probably cannot do much better. I have a lot of thoughts on Reef Octopus - some are good and some really suck and it all depends on the pump. I have an older one with a Sicce PSK pump and it is really good for a needlewheel - I have tried three other and despite great reviews (mostly from people who have used none or few other skimmers), they sucked. LifeReef is the better skimmer here, IMO.

I have a single Gyre 350 on a 72x27x27 tank and it is all the flow that I need. A second might be nice to alternate, but I could not imagine running them both at once when up very high. You should be all set here and don't be surprised if you are at like 30-60%.

Get a three-step folding stool with the work tray. They are very important for tall tanks. Also, get some furniture pads for the floor because you will be dripping when you go into the tank up to your armpits.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Werner-3-Step-250-lbs-Capacity-Gray-Steel-Foldable-Step-Stool/1000208565

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have put a lot of thought into this. What I'm going to do is paint the bottom of the stand with pond liner and have a drain line running through the floor and to the outside in the event of issues.
Man, what a great feature to have! So many floors would be saved. haha

Still, make sure that the sump holds whatever backflow you'll get during routine power shut downs. That's more what I was talking about in regards to sump size.
Even though your stand might be able to handle any overflow or spills, if that were to happen every time you shut down the pump, you'll be short on water when power comes back on and sends the sump water back to the tank. And then it will fill with RO water, assuming you are running an ATO, diluting your salt levels. So just make sure. :) Oh, and also make sure the skimmer section will fit whatever skimmer you end up deciding on.

OP
OP
Z

ZsWithTheFishes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a single Gyre 350 on a 72x27x27 tank and it is all the flow that I need. A second might be nice to alternate, but I could not imagine running them both at once when up very high.

Maybe I should go with a smaller gyre and then put a more directed powerhead on the back. I'm going to have to rock structures that are fairly tall and anchored towards the back of the aquarium - I'm a little concerned that I'm going to be creating dead spots in the back.

Bear with me on this picture, I am not an artist:

The gray are the two overflows, the blue are the two rock structures. The black is the powerhead. The red is my concern over dead spots.

PicsArt_03-02-01.18.06.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Z

ZsWithTheFishes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even though your stand might be able to handle any overflow or spills, if that were to happen every time you shut down the pump, you'll be short on water when power comes back on and sends the sump water back to the tank. And then it will fill with RO water, assuming you are running an ATO, diluting your salt levels.

I'm building my own ATO (I have to justify this nerd degree I rarely use) with an ultrasonic sensor; what I plan on doing is only allowing a certain amount of RO water to enter the tank on each top off. If the levels certain thresholds then the ATO will disable... and it will send an alert to my home server which will forward that message to my email and cell.

This ensures that not only do I have a reason to leave work on occasion, but that my stress levels get the the occasional lively spike when I'm on travel.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm building my own ATO (I have to justify this nerd degree I rarely use) with an ultrasonic sensor; what I plan on doing is only allowing a certain amount of RO water to enter the tank on each top off. If the levels certain thresholds then the ATO will disable... and it will send an alert to my home server which will forward that message to my email and cell.

This ensures that not only do I have a reason to leave work on occasion, but that my stress levels get the the occasional lively spike when I'm on travel.
That's all well and good but you do understand what I'm trying to say about the backflow from your overflows when the power is cut, right?

Now that I see that pic above, the sump looks absolutely tiny compared to the tank.

U

User1

View Badges
2nd and 3rd power off / failure and back flow into the sump. Need to test that when you shut down power or a failure that the back siphon the sump you have can hold it. If not, then you need to make sure that the area is water proof to contain the spill. Not only that once power is resumed you will be minus that water and very well could burn out your pumps. Check valves while a safety net are not to be relied upon.

Skimmers - I'm biased and own a life reef. Same one I had on a 100 gallon tank back in 2000. I never saw a reason to change and it is running just as well today on my 210 as it was back then on my 100 gallon. Really good skimmers. Scratch that, they are great. Then again, I'm biased like I said.

OP
OP
Z

ZsWithTheFishes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's all well and good but you do understand what I'm trying to say about the backflow from your overflows when the power is cut, right?

Now that I see that pic above, the sump looks absolutely tiny compared to the tank.

It's a 36 gallon sump. I know that the water will drain until the level of the pipes inside the overflow - I was hoping if I needed to purposefully power off I could just put valves on the piping down to the sump and then on the return. Then on power off I could throttle down the pump output, turn off the valves down to the sump, turn off the pump and do maintenance. As far as unintentional power offs, yes I would just have to let it overflow and then not turn on the pump until I got back. It's not optimal, for sure.

I sure am appreciating all that ugly gear on my other tanks right now. Does this sound reasonable or are there factors I am neglecting?

OP
OP
Z

ZsWithTheFishes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2nd and 3rd power off / failure and back flow into the sump. Need to test that when you shut down power or a failure that the back siphon the sump you have can hold it. If not, then you need to make sure that the area is water proof to contain the spill. Not only that once power is resumed you will be minus that water and very well could burn out your pumps. Check valves while a safety net are not to be relied upon.

Skimmers - I'm biased and own a life reef. Same one I had on a 100 gallon tank back in 2000. I never saw a reason to change and it is running just as well today on my 210 as it was back then on my 100 gallon. Really good skimmers. Scratch that, they are great. Then again, I'm biased like I said.

Yep, I'm just going to take the spill for now in the event of an unexpected power loss (though they are rare around here) and have a system that does not let the pump come back on if the water gets too low.

I think there is a consensus at this point on the skimmer - I am definitely going with the life Reef. I measured today and I can't do a standard Venturi, but I can fit one of the modified footprints. Thanks all for the input!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back