Shadow box deep reef background

Gdk414

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone out there know anything about these? I saw a guy on craigslist selling a tank with a diy shadowbox background that made the tank look so deep it was unreal.
Im setting up a 90 looking for any info on how this is done!
Thanks

cjd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick Google search, " aquarium shadow box background " tons of info out there. It is pretty cool looking I have to say!

cjd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
img_8463.jpg

OP
OP
Gdk414

Gdk414

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes thats what im talking about.! Thanks. I was just googling images and videos real quick b4. Didnt find as much as i hoped. But i will see about reading

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anyone out there know anything about these? I saw a guy on craigslist selling a tank with a diy shadowbox background that made the tank look so deep it was unreal.
Im setting up a 90 looking for any info on how this is done!
Thanks

I'm VERY interested in this! Keep us updated!

What do all you reefers think about this? Yay or Nay?

Dustin1300

Reefaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the shadow boxes as it gives appearance you see while diving.

Some negatives:

- Additional space required on back.
- Added maintenance on keeping back super clean and properly engineered box for easy removal

Problem with many tanks is overflows might block or permanent black covering on existing tank.

sundog101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im actually building one for my background now. There's a long thread that I found on RC. Here a photo of how it works.
image.jpg

I don't know what language that's in...maybe German, but you get the idea.
The guy on RC built his a little differently. He built the box and made a rock cut out to go in the back. In the front there's a frosted blue sheet of plexiglass.

JB-Aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GDK414,

What part of the country are you in? Just curious because I had a couple listings on craigslist, but took them down as I was getting far more interest on eBay, and plan on doing more business through our website and local stores in the future.

I'm in Richmond, VA and just started a business this past month building acrylic aquariums with backgrounds that have the same look as the most stunning shadowbox builds but are actually far more functional. The design is something no one else has done before and is now Patent Pending. Best of all, ours includes a remote controlled timer allowing the user to adjust brightness, lighting hues, and daily schedule with programable sunrise, mid-day, sunset, and night time settings. The design also allows us to incorporate an overflow inlet and outlets through the background which means all your equipment and plumbing is hidden out of sight. (Whether in a built in filter or in a sump)

Here are my ebay listings:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/90-100-or-120...d-Built-in-Overflows-/201683971852?nav=SEARCH

http://m.ebay.com/itm/50-70-or-100-...d-Multi-Stage-Filter-/201667008867?nav=SEARCH

And our website is www.jb-aquariums.com

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions!

Thanks,
Josh
[email protected]

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

JB-Aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's actually a built-in filter in the back of the aquarium in that picture. (Like many other all in one systems on the market)

It's not built like a conventional shadowbox, but it does offer the same look of depth and gradient of blues that mimics the look of being underwater.

The patent pending design I've come up with allowed me to compress the lighting effects that the old DIY shadowboxes accomplish, so it's built into a solid waterproof wall less than 1" thick.

Still working on the full product line. Going to offer:

-H.O.B filters that give standard small aquariums this same background.
- Medium sized aquariums with hidden built-in filters
-And large custom aquariums with built in overflows and plumbing connections for sumps

In the mean time, feel free to contact me with any questions or custom requests.

Here's some pics of the background at different brightness levels....

P9200238.JPG

P9200244.JPG

Last edited:

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Old thread, but anyone else try a similar shadowbox look?

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Late reply to an old thread, lol, but I am going to have a shadowbox for my tank build. In fact, it is one of the main features of the tank, and I based the tank's name on it. That is, if it works out. Otherwise I change the tank's name and pretend it never happened. :)

I hope to have something to show in this area later this year.

Dennis

Rose's_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes thats what im talking about.! Thanks. I was just googling images and videos real quick b4. Didnt find as much as i hoped. But i will see about reading
This is exactly what I was imagining!!! Glad I found this!

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.6%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 49 25.1%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 44 22.6%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back