Shallow 80g SPS Build

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I followed this thread for a long time; not sure how it dropped out of my notifications, but I picked up on your "blood bath" thread. So sorry, again.

I really hope you achieve some sort of understanding about the cause of the crash. ICP show anything?

And yeah, she has a point about exercise helping with the PTSD. Followed by the Guiness.

OP
OP
Leishman

Leishman

143gadgets' Mentor
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been two months since my Acro Bloodbath. The wife wants me to rebuild. Not sure I have the energy. This one hurt.
One acro lives on. Lost several fish. Lost ~15 heads of gold hammer. Been doing this for 20 years. Maybe it’s time to get out.

Trey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been two months since my Acro Bloodbath. The wife wants me to rebuild. Not sure I have the energy. This one hurt.
One acro lives on. Lost several fish. Lost ~15 heads of gold hammer. Been doing this for 20 years. Maybe it’s time to get out.
Wow bro.. so sad. Your tank was absolute fire! Would love to see a rebuild.
So what were the results of the ICP test? Any idea what caused the crash? Probably cooking 30 hot dogs if I had to guess :eek:

chopper320

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg I just read this whole thread and was going to comment on how beautiful your tank is. I didn’t expect to see this ending. So sorry you experienced that!
Did you ever figure out the cause?

I think you have to regroup and rebuild it! You’ll always miss it if you don’t.

OP
OP
Leishman

Leishman

143gadgets' Mentor
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow bro.. so sad. Your tank was absolute fire! Would love to see a rebuild.
So what were the results of the ICP test? Any idea what caused the crash? Probably cooking 30 hot dogs if I had to guess :eek:
ICP was good across the board. Only cooked dogs in the garage so far. Poker room is closed for covid

Mellotang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe something added to The source water in your area that was getting past RO

I’ve seen instances where water lines in a building were treated and descaled with chemicals, eventually it got to My source water and I was screwed

it wiped out a whole freshwater tank

only reason I’d suspect that is because you said your DI was shot. You seem to Me like someone Who is aware of their DI lifespan so if it went quicker than Normal I’d suspect a bad membrane. Membranes go quickly when something gets past the carbon blocks.

i run a lot Of tanks and almost always can link
Mysterious death, recession, red algae to RO issues.

it also seems like a lot happened in a quick time, over feeding, lights on for 48 hrs, DI media shot.

corals look lighter almost pastel toward the end in your pics.

Ive also noticed sometimes I have the best coloration on SPS right before a crash. Strange pastels I’ve never seen, It’s like they’re giving it all they got to survive. Maybe it’s a result of struggling to photosynthesize or photo-inhibition or something else that sounds like I know what im Talking about.

regardless, you’re a skilled reefer and I know It hurts losing an SPS tank but I think if you take a break you will come back stronger.

sorry

Last edited:

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it’s tough about what happened. But I suggest that you just leave things as they are now and ignore. Just feed the fish and do very basic maintenance. Don’t add any further coral livestock. Let the glass get dirty.

You have been in the hobby for 20 years. It’s clearly a passion. Just spend less time on it for now and over time your feelings might change again. I find when I shift my focus elsewhere, I come back stronger when I am ready again. I would just hate to see you start over again if you decided to shutdown and sell everything off.

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah Leishman, I know this is hard - especially since you don't know what the cause is. This is a time when you'll naturally sit back and assess what your next steps are.

Still, your tank was awesome and I think you'd enjoy having a reef in the future. If anything, maybe this is a time to consider a different configuration that might spark your interest. (that said, I think the 80g shallow is an awesome tank design)

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really weird and unfortunate. So (sorry if I read this wrong) it only took out the acros?

OP
OP
Leishman

Leishman

143gadgets' Mentor
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really weird and unfortunate. So (sorry if I read this wrong) it only took out the acros?

Correct - only Acros. It also took out my 12yr old Pink Skunk Clowns in the display, and a Perc in the frag tank. All 3 fish died the same day.

Mellotang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe something from your furnace in the filter area of the tank?

any work or cleaning done in the house?

Last edited:

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 155 61.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 27.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 88 34.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.6%
Back