Shark won't eat

DiverBrad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone this is my first post here and it is not a good one. I bought a shark egg last month and it hatched 8 days ago. The shark hasn't eaten since it hatched. I tried frozen squid, clams and shrimp and live shrimp and guppies. I am not sure what I should do. TIA.

OP
OP
D

DiverBrad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks hopefully one of those people can help. I am starting to worry.

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dose it still have its yolk sack? If it dose give it some more time

Last edited:

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used frozen raw squid. I took a small piece of its leg. about 1 in long and put it on a wooden shishkebab stick, and dangled it in front of its mouth. Once it got the sent it went for it. I dont know if garlic would mess with the sharks scense of smell or not?

cu455

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a last resort you can force feed. I force fed my guy for a month before he started eating on his own.

Here is a video of me force feeding. Below is a guy named Al Prazo critique of my feeding. I made the corrections, smaller syringe and some pam on the end. It is awkward at first but it gets easier. It got to a point were the shark will swim up to me for feedings.

The tube needs to go in at least an inch more. Spray the tube with Pam cooking spray to help ease it through the esophageal sphincter. Push through the resistance, You will then feel the resistance ease. I would also go with a smaller diameter syringe if possible. The greater the diameter, the increased force it takes to plunge. The high force can be damaging, especially if there is a clog and it breaks free. A 1 or 3cc would be better. The shark could probably handle 1.5 cc. Dehydration can occur with starvation and sometimes I will add Gatorade or pedialyte to the gruel. You should see no food come out of its gills if placed correctly. Good luck. Stat, a liquid to feed newborn sheep, is a milky, high protein and fat diet that I have used too.

Dtackett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not sure why I was tagged lol im not experienced with sharks what so ever. hope you found the answer you were looking for above though.

Davina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone this is my first post here and it is not a good one. I bought a shark egg last month and it hatched 8 days ago. The shark hasn't eaten since it hatched. I tried frozen squid, clams and shrimp and live shrimp and guppies. I am not sure what I should do. TIA.

try feeding it squid

Vibora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually they wont eat for the first week and half or so after that try small pieces of shrimp,squid, silversides or clams. I experienced the same when my shark hacht she didn't eat for 2 weeks and I try everything, after that she start eating well,she grow up almost 3 feet.

cplatts32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Squid or scallop on a wooden shiskabob stick. Wave it in front of the nose of the shark. Never used garlic for sharks and never heard of it being used for sharks.

Rob's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Raw salmon from the store chopped up soaked in garlic worked on my catshark. That and those clamp on a half shell

lilcee5004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use Kent Marine Garlic Xtreme. You put just 1 or 2 drops on the food, or 1 drop to every 10gls before feeding. This makes the fish want to eat even for the most finicky eaters. It also will boost their immune system, give them a stronger slim coating to fight off ick and things like that, plus it contains good omega3 fatty acids for them. I used this when mine got ick really bad & would not eat. All of them started eating, the ick went away, and never lost one fish. It works great and is pretty cheep. Keep it in the fridge and it will last a very long time. It is very strong so use only as described. It us reef safe. I use it in my 120 mixed reef tank and I have several very delicate sps corals, softies, & lps.
20151001_013217.jpg
20151001_013227.jpg
20151001_013217.jpg 20151001_013227.jpg

Betta-Chetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At first mine wouldn't eat either and took a few days for it to adjust. What I would do is start with live food due to it being a baby. I tried frozen at first and he never went for it. When I got shrimp I would crush the back end of the shrimp so it would twitch. When you do that hold it close to the head of the shark and he should go for it.

JimWelsh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try researching what an animal requires *BEFORE* you decide to assume responsibility for its fate next time.

cu455

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try researching what an animal requires *BEFORE* you decide to assume responsibility for its fate next time.

It seems like the OP knows what the animal requires but the animal just isn't accepting the food. This is quite common not only with sharks but other animals as well. No matter how much researcher he has conducted the shark still wouldn't eat on its own.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back