Shaun's 2000 Litre (530 USG) Living Reef & Red Sea Max S 650 LED Design & Build

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess what happened when this coral was added to my tank, with the Radion XR30 G4 Pro’s.....

FA6E1FBD-5E90-48E4-AB41-AB493C9C4DA6.jpeg
4B496532-6921-42D7-B41B-0E18EB3DEC55.jpeg
Oh my... what a color up under par. Shazaaaam!

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW!

What beautiful tanks you have!

I'm very new to reefing, have a little 30G in the early stages. One day tanks like yours are the dream.

I will go through you thread bit by bit as there's a lot to get through!
Thank you very much!

Ill test you afterwards! lol

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Shaun, which tank is the easiest to maintain so far?
The all-in-one human-size tank or the custom monster?
Lol!

The monster tank is easier to maintain by far because everything is designed far better, simple as that, oh and bigger.

My maintenance on the big tank:

Change rowaphos every 6-8 weeks. I use around 1kg to keep phosphate locked down and this amount doesn’t need changing as often. The reactor size and water feed system is much better.

I change the roll In the X Filter 1.7 (roller mat) every 6-8 weeks

I refill the 425 litre saltwater tank around once a month, so just turn a tap, fill it back up and then add some salt. Oh the effort!

I test alkalinity once every week, and at the moment nitrate as it’s locked at around 8 so I’m just monitoring it, and the other parameters randomly because the calcium reactor and rowaphos keeps everything under control and in line.

So as you can see, I don’t have much to do, although I do monitor things daily and clean the glass every 2 days.

The S650 is mature, and doesn’t need much maintenance other than rowaphos changes every 2 weeks (because the reactor and method of water feed is different and clogs up quicker)

I have to change filter socks every 3-4 days so this is a standard biggish tank, that many on here will be aware of the sort of maintenance involved. I do more water tests with weekly alkalinity and usually calcium and magnesium because these are dosed with liquids and need monitoring

Because it’s mature, the biological filtration system is very robust. I tested nitrate for the first time a few days ago, in probably over a year because it was always around 20. And it was still 20.... For those paying attention, I dose Nopox on the S650 at around 20 ml a day. Over the last few weeks I’m reducing the dose by 1ml/day ever week/other week, so slowly. Because I don’t think it’s needed anymore. It’s currently at 16ml per day without any I’ll effect

Im actually considering a new sump in it so I can have an X Filter roller mat and then I won’t have the filter socks to change. Infact if it was an easy task I would swap the whole tank for a smaller version of the big one, and this may be on the cards at some point In the future.

To anyone reading this, and thinking about a big tank, planning every single system is the absolute key, it really is. Something as simple as automated water changes is a game changer for the hobby. I can do any type of change small or large, immediately at the simple press of a button on Apex DOS. Both systems are currently on around 5% per week in small daily amounts over a few hours.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol!

The monster tank is easier to maintain by far because everything is designed far better, simple as that, oh and bigger.

My maintenance on the big tank:

Change rowaphos every 6-8 weeks. I use around 1kg to keep phosphate locked down and this amount doesn’t need changing as often. The reactor size and water feed system is much better.

I change the roll In the X Filter 1.7 (roller mat) every 6-8 weeks

I refill the 425 litre saltwater tank around once a month, so just turn a tap, fill it back up and then add some salt. Oh the effort!

I test alkalinity once every week, and at the moment nitrate as it’s locked at around 8 so I’m just monitoring it, and the other parameters randomly because the calcium reactor and rowaphos keeps everything under control and in line.

So as you can see, I don’t have much to do, although I do monitor things daily and clean the glass every 2 days.

The S650 is mature, and doesn’t need much maintenance other than rowaphos changes every 2 weeks (because the reactor and method of water feed is different and clogs up quicker)

I have to change filter socks every 3-4 days so this is a standard biggish tank, that many on here will be aware of the sort of maintenance involved. I do more water tests with weekly alkalinity and usually calcium and magnesium because these are dosed with liquids and need monitoring

Because it’s mature, the biological filtration system is very robust. I tested nitrate for the first time a few days ago, in probably over a year because it was always around 20. And it was still 20.... For those paying attention, I dose Nopox on the S650 at around 20 ml a day. Over the last few weeks I’m reducing the dose by 1ml/day ever week/other week, so slowly. Because I don’t think it’s needed anymore. It’s currently at 16ml per day without any I’ll effect

Im actually considering a new sump in it so I can have an X Filter roller mat and then I won’t have the filter socks to change. Infact if it was an easy task I would swap the whole tank for a smaller version of the big one, and this may be on the cards at some point In the future.

To anyone reading this, and thinking about a big tank, planning every single system is the absolute key, it really is. Something as simple as automated water changes is a game changer for the hobby. I can do any type of change small or large, immediately at the simple press of a button on Apex DOS. Both systems are currently on around 5% per week in small daily amounts over a few hours.

I like this comparison.
But automation means $... and you need to have the space for it.
Such a things are a blast for big tanks (> 100 gallon) as a water change quickly means several buckets to be mixed and moved.

Still, I agree with you.
Automation with human supervision is also the way to success as it creates more stable environments.

NautiTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like this comparison.
But automation means $... and you need to have the space for it.
Such a things are a blast for big tanks (> 100 gallon) as a water change quickly means several buckets to be mixed and moved.

Still, I agree with you.
Automation with human supervision is also the way to success as it creates more stable environments.
Yes very much $ I did some quick math a few days ago of how much my dream tank will cost and its somewhere around 30k USD just for the big ticket equipment, sand and dry rock, not including stuff like live stock, medicines, nets, QT stuff, etc. Its roughly the same size as Shaun's tank.

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still, I agree with you.

I think this sums it up perfectly Jan, and there is no way I personally would give Apex anything other than very basic control, just from my own experience

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes very much $ I did some quick math a few days ago of how much my dream tank will cost and its somewhere around 30k USD just for the big ticket equipment, sand and dry rock, not including stuff like live stock, medicines, nets, QT stuff, etc. Its roughly the same size as Shaun's tank.
No much more $$$$! Lol

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your pictures are nothing but perfect. I’m always blown away.
Thank you so much for that, it’s very much appreciated

I do try my best with them, as I know everyone like pictures as they say much more than words in some cases. Like some of the shots of the new tank in the workshop and then being carried into the house.

That moment certainly brings back ‘worried’ memories. I must have re measured the door frame that morning 10 times to make sure it would fit! Lol

NautiTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes i know my math was just tank, skimmer, Ca Rx, return pump (not the backup), lights, apex and accessories, couple powerheads, battery backups, sand and rock.

I didnt add up salt, test kits, plumbing, materials for a stand (I would build a stand), sump, other misc. Items. I know its costly

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes i know my math was just tank, skimmer, Ca Rx, return pump (not the backup), lights, apex and accessories, couple powerheads, battery backups, sand and rock.

I didnt add up salt, test kits, plumbing, materials for a stand (I would build a stand), sump, other misc. Items. I know its costly
I think excluding any live stock it cost around £25000 GBP or thereabouts , maybe a bit more and that’s with a 10% discount on everything over the retail price. So yes much $$$$!

There was never a budget, and it just cost what it cost as you can probably tell from the equipment list

Last edited:
OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Outstanding reef and pics my friend, your new tank is coming along very nice.
Thank you Pancho, it’s coming together nicely

Ive got a new ’strawberry shortcake‘ SPS coming on Friday, and also a sacrophyton coral (hark at me! Lol. I only remember the name because I’ve just checked the order!) and a couple of fish.

I want the sacrophyton for the left end of the tank, in the flattish area. I’ve seen a few nice specimens on here and like the look, albeit the tank will be SPS heavy.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back