Shaun's 2000 Litre (530 USG) Living Reef & Red Sea Max S 650 LED Design & Build

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The following is a picture of a fight between a Montipora coral and another (pink one!).

The Montipora is winning and I’ve taken some frags from the victim

7518838928_IMG_2263.JPG
7518838928_IMG_2259.JPG

They may grow together into a very unique pattern! Smart to take some frags though if the Montipora beats it down.

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The following is a picture of a fight between a Montipora coral and another (pink one!).

The Montipora is winning and I’ve taken some frags from the victim

7518838928_IMG_2263.JPG
7518838928_IMG_2259.JPG

Montipora tends to be more aggressive than other sps

Michelle Crossley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fantastic. Soooo jealous.

I have a question.
I have 3 wave makers.
2 reef circulators 2500 and a Reef Tide compact. Please could someone tell me where is the best place to put them for good flow results?

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow!! I love your tank.. i wish my tank could look like this one day :)
Thank you for the kind words @abzReeF ! And welcome to R2R as well!

You can have a great tank. I started in June 2016 with zero, yes zero knowledge of fish tanks. Just read and read and then read some more.

And if you don’t understand, just ask.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Shaun,
Do you have a pair of Blue Jaw triggerfish?
What is his behavior? he swims all over the tank?
I have one, but he's very shy, he hides when we get close to the tank, and when he gets out, he stands in a position all day long.
Hi there @kaduozores

Yes I have a pair of Blue Throat Triggers and there is a video on the first page of this build thread showing them swimming. They are very active and swim all over.

They built a nest under the rocks at the bottom of the right hand side of my tank and they go there at night or if threatened but there very sociable. Sometimes they will hide, it depends so maybe just be patient. I’ve heard people say they will spit water at you to get your attention for food (a friend on another forum)!

Below is when they were spawning

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/s...0-led-design-build.309184/page-6#post-3950587

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fantastic. Soooo jealous.

I have a question.
I have 3 wave makers.
2 reef circulators 2500 and a Reef Tide compact. Please could someone tell me where is the best place to put them for good flow results?

Thank you so much Michelle for your kind words, it means a lot.

All my circulation comes from pumps hidden at the rear in the Max S Series if that helps or you could maybe try at the ends.

Could be worth posting the very same question in one if the equipment forums as you will probably find others using exactly what you have. You will be surprised at the information available.

Michelle Crossley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 wave makers 2 reef circulators 2500 and 1 Reef Tide compact. Where would be the best place to put them to get the best out of them

kaduozores

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there @kaduozores

Yes I have a pair of Blue Throat Triggers and there is a video on the first page of this build thread showing them swimming. They are very active and swim all over.

They built a nest under the rocks at the bottom of the right hand side of my tank and they go there at night or if threatened but there very sociable. Sometimes they will hide, it depends so maybe just be patient. I’ve heard people say they will spit water at you to get your attention for food (a friend on another forum)!

Below is when they were spawning

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/s...0-led-design-build.309184/page-6#post-3950587

Wow.. very nice, congrats! They spawned many times?
I'll wait more, or maybe I'll try to find a wife dos him. You have seen them single and active in another tank?

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll wait more, or maybe I'll try to find a wife dos him. You have seen them single and active in another tank?
Yes they do it every 4-6 months at a guess.

Their behaviour changes and the female starts ‘trying’ to build a nest at the bottom of the tank and basically guards the area, pretty much what’s in the video. Its the same each time so I know when it’s time. Because I stare at the tank endlessly! Lol

I haven’t seen them as singles although @GoVols had one for a short time (before swapping for something sexier lol!) so he may be able to answer that for you.

There great as a pair but mine were fighting at the LFS to start with (a domestic!) so they were separated for a while. I didn’t get them for 3 months and was just watching them and fortunately nobody purchased them. Now they get on fine apart from the odd ‘flare up’ we’re they chase each other quiet fast!

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah,
I had an small male from Divers Den (WYSIWYG).
He had an very sweet personality and nothing like an clown trigger.

I kept the lights dim and held my patients and he came around.

After he acclimated, he did his own thing and fit right in with the other fish.

After finding the right Regal Angel, I did trade him in to my local reef shop (for store credit).

There's an (local) guy who follows my build. He drove down there to buy him, but the trigger was already sold.

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved one of the Elegance corals to the back of the tank to replace the large torch coral which was eaten by the savage little white starfish hordes!

It’s now thriving...

7516848016_IMG_2178.JPG
7516848016_IMG_2232.JPG
7516848016_IMG_2234.JPG

kaduozores

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they do it every 4-6 months at a guess.

Their behaviour changes and the female starts ‘trying’ to build a nest at the bottom of the tank and basically guards the area, pretty much what’s in the video. Its the same each time so I know when it’s time. Because I stare at the tank endlessly! Lol

I haven’t seen them as singles although @GoVols had one for a short time (before swapping for something sexier lol!) so he may be able to answer that for you.

There great as a pair but mine were fighting at the LFS to start with (a domestic!) so they were separated for a while. I didn’t get them for 3 months and was just watching them and fortunately nobody purchased them. Now they get on fine apart from the odd ‘flare up’ we’re they chase each other quiet fast!
I'll give him more time, at least now he doesn't hide anymore when I'm in front of the tank. If he doesn't become more acitive, I'm going to look for a female.

Yes, Regal is much sexier! lol. I also think and put one here.
Thank you

Yeah,
I had an small male from Divers Den (WYSIWYG).
He had an very sweet personality and nothing like an clown trigger.

I kept the lights dim and held my patients and he came around.

After he acclimated, he did his own thing and fit right in with the other fish.

After finding the right Regal Angel, I did trade him in to my local reef shop (for store credit).

There's an (local) guy who follows my build. He drove down there to buy him, but the trigger was already sold.
Here he has no problem with the other fish, I just do not know why he does not swim all over the tank. Only when I feed the fishes he leaves near the locline.
Thanks

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Elegance is one of my favorite corals, but now on my "I give up list"... love them so much but I've had 2 die on me :(
I agree, the movement they provide is mesmerising.

I’ve currently got 2 of them and they are both doing very well at the moment.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 108 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back