SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the fish in your tank.
Thank you Michael, me to.

I just love to watch the movement. That’s primarily why I have a lot of SPS type corals as many move, but it’s like, or rather actually is, a living thriving coral reef. In my home.

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here are better quality pictures of the two new arrivals

Vampire Tang

10784972720_IMG_2990.JPG
10785316208_IMG_2986.JPG

And Blue Eyed Tang

10785422768_IMG_2988.JPG
10785036144_IMG_2987.JPG
10785031008_IMG_2944.JPG

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stunning tank!

Love the triggers and anthias!
Thank you @dantimdad !

The Triggers are great to watch and add a real presence to the tank.

And the Anthias, well like they say, are the jewels of the reef

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been a miserable weekend here in the UK (so no white ball hitting!) so yesterday I thought I might do some of those maintenance jobs that I don’t really like doing. Infact the ones I hate doing.

So after about 2 hours sitting there thinking shall I, well I can’t really be bothered, but I ought to really, no I’ll just leave it, I decided to take out and clean the rear circulation pumps. It’s been nearly a year to the day since they were last cleaned.

So I took out the first 2, shoved a couple of filter floss balls into the holes to stop fish swimming through, and left them to soak for an hour in a solution of citric acid. I prefer this to vinegar just because it doesn’t small as much.

While the pumps were soaking, I replaced the 4 rear circulation vent covers with my spare set, and I also took out the rear flow overflow combs and soaked them for an hour or so. These are something easy to forget and like the vent covers, will get encrusted with coralline if left to long which makes them much harder to remove.

After an hour most of the coralline algae had dissolved from the hose outlets and the pumps were as good as new. To be honest apart from the casings, the impeller and inside were not to bad so I might leave it 2 years before the next clean! Lol

So I set to work taking the final 2 pumps out to soak and putting the first 2 back into place.

The following picture shows the rear section with all pumps removed and you can see all the anemones, probably Aipstasia on the combs. Ignore the Apex sensor holder on its side it’s not normally in that position

IMG_0021.jpg

You will note the 2 pieces of filter floss in the holes. Whilst clambering to put the 2 pumps back, I was looking down from the back of the tank thinking those are unusual sponges. It was only when I poked one of them I realised it was the back of the filter floss sticking through (what an idiot! Lol)

2 pumps back in, I stuffed the 2 pieces of sponge/filter floss into the other 2 holes for the other pumps and waited an hour for them to soak. When I went back to refit them, I looked into the rear chamber, and in the few minutes before I blocked the holes, a stupid Wrasse has gone through the hole into the rear chamber. And then decided to hide. It was pure luck I spotted him.

So a 2 minute job took me another 30 minutes whilst I tried to catch this stupid fish.......

So with the all pumps cleaned and up and running I also cleaned the Apex salinity probe as it had been 3 months and it usually freaks out after that period so while I had the back off, cleaned and then recalibrated.

So today (yes it’s raining!) I thought in for a penny...... I’ll make some beer and some wine... yes I’ll digress slightly but bear with me I’m going mad with boredom!

So I’ve made some English Old Suffolk strong ale, picture of finished version below after conditioning and ‘one I made earlier’ (8%!) and some Pino Grigio and white Zinfandel (winexpert selection kits if your interested - I also mainly make the winexpert Eclipse Reds which are excellent)

IMG_2219.jpg

Anyway after replenishing my alcohol stock, I though I know Ill change the main pump, so I did and it took just 2 minutes to swap the pump back to the original and put the spare into soak and storage. It had been in for about 6 months and was pretty clean inside.

I’m sure the original is quieter than the spare but......

The picture below is of my excel spreadsheet up dated including a ‘clean rear overflow weirs’ section.

You can also see clearly under the nitrate test results were I changed the test kit to the NYOS and added 6 litres of Seachem Matrix. The drop is very noticeable.

IMG_0210.jpg

So maintenance done, alcohol replenished..........

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a few pictures and explanatory notes on the life support and general equipment @Janci

This is the complete system including black cabinet to the side.

IMG_0022.jpg

Well what’s inside said black cabinet I here you say......

All sorts! Lol

IMG_0023.jpg

At the back of the cabinet, screwed to a wooden panel is the Apex system with various modules.

You can see what’s in the cabinet including dried foods, dosing containers, glass clothes and scrapers, refractometer etc. Did I mention nest of wires!

The following is a picture of the Kamoer doser, temperature controller and Tunze Osmolator ATO and a very good algae clip I purchased. You can also see the Apex and ‘wiring looms’ as well!

IMG_0024.jpg

The following is the power centre with large ATO reservoir underneath which holds around 90 litres of RODI water and will last around 2 - 2 1/2 weeks. This is used by the Tunze and their is also around 5 days in the rear of the tank via the built in float ATO system which will cut in if the Tunze fails or runs out of water.

5B826B90-F924-446B-95A6-A3D70E9FDA1C.jpeg

And now the sump

IMG_0002.jpg

I’ve shown this picture before but basically
Bottom left - Seachem Matrix bags x 6 litres and a marine pure block. DD UV-C steriliser at the back and deltec FR509 rhowaphos reactor fed from the return pump.

Back middle is the NYOS Quantum 160 skimmer, with a large skimmate container (ex wine/grape juice container!) which will last easy 2 weeks provided the skimmer doesn’t ‘freak out’. This container is inside the sump so in the event of overflow it will just run back into the sump.

Around the container you can see the green hose which is the return flow of the UVC so I can see if the water has stopped for whatever reason.

Underneath are mesh bags of Red Sea activated carbon and Purigen, along with some more Martrix.

I have also added 2 lots of filter floss which has made a great deal of difference in terms of mechanical filtration, in particular keeping the deltec reactor clear of debris from the main pump. I just change it every week or so and it works a treat.

And then there is Apex

Those of you who have it will know the piece of mind it provides and what this system can do. I wouldn’t be without it now.

Anyway that’s a brief explanation of the system
9A9ACBE5-4F7B-40FE-8C34-46448259A6AF.png

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back