No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shaun,
How is your Elegance coral doing?
Very well indeed. It's stunning.

I've purchased a few more frags as well. 14 actually!!

IMG_0796.JPG

IMG_0801.JPG

IMG_0798.JPG

IMG_0808.JPG

IMG_0812.JPG

IMG_0814.JPG

IMG_0811.JPG

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very well indeed. It's stunning.

I've purchased a few more frags as well. 14 actually!!
Shaun,
Your reef looks awesome!!!!!!!
Are you spot feeding any of your corals?

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shaun,
Your reef looks awesome!!!!!!!
Are you spot feeding any of your corals?

Thanks Freddie!

No I don't spot feed anything at all. I just use Reef Energy A and B at around 40ml total per day and 2-3 times a week I add some liquid phytoplankton with it. Around 20ml.

I had a sun Coral but soon got bored with that! I don't buy anything that needs spot feeding although some of the corals do get some of the food pellets that fall on them when I feed pellets etc.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Freddie!

No I don't spot feed anything at all. I just use Reef Energy A and B at around 40ml total per day and 2-3 times a week I add some liquid phytoplankton with it. Around 20ml.

I had a sun Coral but soon got bored with that! I don't buy anything that needs spot feeding although some of the corals do get some of the food pellets that fall on them when I feed pellets etc.
I'm in the same boat as you but I was not sure if you have changed to any spot feeding.
I'm still dosing 15ml each A & B of "RE" almost every day.
Is there a certain brand of liquid phytoplankton that you use and recommend?

Thanks, Freddie

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one I use is in the link below which my LFS sell in 1 litres bottles but you may not be able to get this particular brand in the US. I suppose as long as it's a good brand they will be similar. Mine is a concentrated 5 species variety.

https://reefphyto.co.uk/collections/phytoplankton

The corals are all thriving with the Reef Energy and phytoplankton combination, at least in my tank anyway.

I have also used reef roids but it just seems very expensive as I need a teaspoon for every feed and it won't last long and it's very expensive here for what you get.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one I use is in the link below which my LFS sell in 1 litres bottles but you may not be able to get this particular brand in the US. I suppose as long as it's a good brand they will be similar. Mine is a concentrated 5 species variety.

https://reefphyto.co.uk/collections/phytoplankton

The corals are all thriving with the Reef Energy and phytoplankton combination, at least in my tank anyway.

I have also used reef roids but it just seems very expensive as I need a teaspoon for every feed and it won't last long and it's very expensive here for what you get.
Shaun,

Thank for your help. I don't see it for sale in the US but I'm sure my local reef shop sells a great product.
My reef has been totally healthy and happy with just Reef Energy but (lol)... why not add a new twist. :D

Freddie

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a certain brand of liquid phytoplankton that you use and recommend?

I'm a fan of Algae Barn and they carry some. I talked with them at RAPNY and they're starting to stock LFS. Their marketing person (Katie [email protected]) said to email them and let me know about your LFS. I've bought pods + snails from them a few times. They're a R2R sponsor.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a fan of Algae Barn and they carry some. I talked with them at RAPNY and they're starting to stock LFS. Their marketing person (Katie [email protected]) said to email them and let me know about your LFS. I've bought pods + snails from them a few times. They're a R2R sponsor.
Micheal,
Thank you.
I'm going to order some and see how it goes. :D

Freddie

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to order some and see how it goes. :D

I should have warned , that I think phytoplankton may be somewhat like phosphate dosing? Maybe @SPR1968 knows? I don't test before + after enough and I didn't have my GFO/Phosguard replacement routine down, but I think the PO4 in that stuff is pretty impressive. I remember re-doing my hanna test because I couldn't believe the spike.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have warned , that I think phytoplankton may be somewhat like phosphate dosing? Maybe @SPR1968 knows? I don't test before + after enough and I didn't have my GFO/Phosguard replacement routine down, but I think the PO4 in that stuff is pretty impressive. I remember re-doing my hanna test because I couldn't believe the spike.
Thanks for the heads up.
I'll dose very lightly and keep a check on my phos. levels.

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It probably does add some phosphate as it will be contained within the organisms, but I'm running Rhowaphos and the readings don't budge from 0-0.03 until it's ready for changing.

The Redfield Ratio would suggest the phytoplankton contains phosphate but just a very small proportion.

Also bear in mind I only add about 15-20ml ish a few times a week and it's a Max 650 so a lot of water. What I do in practice is fill the little plastic cup that comes with reef energy with 30-40ml of reef energy, and then fill it to the top with the phytoplankton liquid. Then dump it all across the tank starting in front of the main return. Looks kinda groovy!! Lol

chevegan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread clinches it for me. My new main room large "guests" tank is going to be mostly if not completely softy dominated. Nobody cares about my colorful stix and they never have. I love the tank, ty for the inspiration! Colorful stix will be in a nano in my room lol

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread clinches it for me. My new main room large "guests" tank is going to be mostly if not completely softy dominated. Nobody cares about my colorful stix and they never have. I love the tank, ty for the inspiration! Colorful stix will be in a nano in my room lol
Thanks you and your more than welcome!

I started with LPS and soft, simply because I was/am learning as I started with 'zero' aquarium knowledge, and until I figured out phosphate and keeping ultra low, I couldn't keep SPS from going brown. I still have a few at the back right of my tank on the bottom corner that I've kept in case they recover but I think they won't. I'm now adding SPS as well as all under control.

Basically I love to see flow and motion in the tank.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shaun,
Can you do me a favor? :)
Can you take some shots of your factory RS filter sock holder and how it mounts in the down flow chamber?

I've got that 2013 S-400 that came with sponges and now I just use the RS 220 mesh sock an just dip it in the sump and pull it up the two down pipes. I've never seen the filter sock upgrade but I may like to buy it.

(lol)
If it's too tight to get back in there with your camera :eek: then I fully understand.

Freddie

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shaun,
Can you do me a favor? :)
Can you take some shots of your factory RS filter sock holder and how it mounts in the down flow chamber?

I've got that 2013 S-400 that came with sponges and now I just use the RS 220 mesh sock an just dip it in the sump and pull it up the two down pipes. I've never seen the filter sock upgrade but I may like to buy it.

(lol)
If it's too tight to get back in there with your camera :eek: then I fully understand.

Freddie

As requested Freddie.

The filter sock holder is very good and it just takes a few seconds to change the filters. Mine are ready to change and should have changed them yesterday but thought I'd get an extra day out of them!

IMG_0828.JPG

IMG_0829.JPG

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As requested Freddie.

The filter sock holder is very good and it just takes a few seconds to change the filters. Mine are ready to change and should have changed them yesterday but thought I'd get an extra day out of them
Shaun,
Thanks for taking the time to show me. Had no clue that they set forward in front of the down pipes.
I'm going to have to keep mine pull over the down pipes so nothing bypasses the socks in the older S-Series sump design.

Freddie

Back