Shawn's JBJ NanoCube 28g

PostShawn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To start out I had a 70g tall corner tank. It was 6 feet tall without the canopy. So it was hard to maintain. It was not originally setup for a reef so I had a HOB overflow. After over a year I started having problems with the HOB overflow. I had two floods in a month's time. So I ditched the HOB overflow and then the tank started to suffer since I did not have the skimmer and sump in use after that. I then got rid of most of the live stock.

I played with getting out of the hobby but my son loves the Nemo fish (he's two years old). So I decided to keep just the clown pair. I had a 12g JBJ Nano from years ago so I put them in there for a while until I decided what to do more permanent.

Finally I got a deal on a used 28g Nano Cube and decided that will be good for them. The cube is the CF light hood. I am replacing the pumps because one sounds like it's done and the other doesn't sound too far off. So I have a couple MJ1200's on their way. For now I have decided to help with algae I will use the media rack with some GFO and Carbon. I will get a HOB skimmer down the road when I can but in the meantime I'll do weekly water changes and just monitor what I can.

I started the 28g by adding new live sand and some dry rocks which were once live rocks in my old 70g. I let that go for a week. I then added some bacteria to do a quick cycle if any. Over a couple days I noticed the slighted raise in parameters and then 0's and very low Nitrates. So I started transferring one live rock at a time from the 12g into the 28g. After about 5 days parameters were still good so I transferred the last rock and the two clowns. It's been setup for a few days now that way and everything seems to be going good. The left over corals (mushrooms and polyps) seem to be doing better too then in the 12g.

My future plans will be to add one more fish. I'm not sure what that will be yet. My wife really wants a blue and yellow fish, a Dory but know's that's wrong for this tank. So we'll see what we can find locally. Maybe a Cherub Angelfish or one of the blue and yellow damsels. Not sure what will be best with the two clowns though in the 28g. I'd also like to possibly get a yellow clown goby if the tank stays stable. A clean up crew will probably start to be added this weekend. I'd like a shrimp, probably a peppermint since I have some aiptasia from time to time. I like emerald crabs but lately they seem to disappear on me for good. And the other usuals. I'd also like some more softies. Right now the mushrooms are at the base of the structure. I have the big rock in the foreground on the left that I'll like to do a Zoa garden. The small branch rock on the right I wanted to cover in green star polyps or clovers. I think that will look neat isolated and covered in it. Then on the main structure in the back I'll probably do a leather or two or maybe even a frogspawn. I'm open for suggestions on the live stock ideas that would be good with my current stock. Especially what fish goes well with clowns, possibly a blue one.

This was my 70g:
10859170013_a354221e44_z.jpg

10859145163_2ca62ab55a_z.jpg

The new setup:
27747550971_03c869e472_z.jpg

27747550871_da2a8bbd10_z.jpg

Anyone know exactly what these are? I don't even remember buying these.
27747551021_8f094ab4ab_z.jpg

The stars of the show. I bought them as a pair. I've had them for almost two years. The bigger one has grown a bit since I got them but the smaller one has barely grown and still pretty small. But they are both healthy and doing good. The host the mushroom on the bottom right of the big structure.
27788968256_742a09b578_z.jpg

I'll update this thread for when I do updates to the tank.
Thanks.

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good;)

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the scape and the clowns. :) Off to a great start.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 45 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.4%
Back