Shells

GregfromOz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few shells lying around, and I also see them in thrift shops and markets occasionally. Is it safe to put these into the tank, maybe with some prior treatment?

Gobi-Wan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few shells lying around, and I also see them in thrift shops and markets occasionally. Is it safe to put these into the tank, maybe with some prior treatment?
I have thrown a few shells in from time to time with no ill effect. They will dissolve calcium into your water slowly and that’s not a bad thing in saltwater. If you feel they are dirty you could boil and scrub them first. If you buy them make sure they aren’t coated with any kind of preservative finish. Welcome to R2R!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clean them first and you should be good to go. If they are smaller snail shells and you have hermit crabs it is a good practice to have some empty shells anyway. If not your hermits will eventually kill a snail for its shell.

Welcome to R2R and the hobby.

Free advice: The most expensive part of this hobby is impatience. Decided what you want,save up for it if you must, get the best you can and only buy it once! Enjoy the hobby!

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 176 72.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 45 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back