Feeding zebra moray crab's?

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had seen some video's regarding people feeding them big sized crabs with shell's on, so, is there any benefit's of feeding them crab's? And if there are, should I first remove the shell and feed the flesh or just keep the shell for added nutrition? Though I don't wanna make my tank more messy because of keeping shell on but at the same time removing the flesh of the crab very time I feed them is quite the added burden besides thawing frozen food

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had seen some video's regarding people feeding them big sized crabs with shell's on, so, is there any benefit's of feeding them crab's? And if there are, should I first remove the shell and feed the flesh or just keep the shell for added nutrition? Though I don't wanna make my tank more messy because of keeping shell on but at the same time removing the flesh of the crab very time I feed them is quite the added burden besides thawing frozen food

Zebra morays often go on a hunger strike in aquariums. When that happens, live crabs can get them started again. If the zebra is eating regular food for you, I wouldn't bother with crabs.

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zebra morays often go on a hunger strike in aquariums. When that happens, live crabs can get them started again. If the zebra is eating regular food for you, I wouldn't bother with crabs.
Oh, it's been a month and my zebra is eating regularly, but, he mostly only eats clams and shrimp and i don't want shrimp to be the dominant part of his diet, i do feed the shrimp whole with head and shell but I am still bothered by "vit b1 deficiency" and i can't seem to find mussel's, I've also tried fish since he lives with a fangtooth but he only comes out for shrimp or clam's so I wanted to add some more variety if it's necessary

I do wonder, you said that crabs can get them out of their hunger strike? So is there a vitamin that exists in crabs in which it can fulfill/remove any deficiencies in zebra eel's? Or is it just because the crab is live? Keeping 3 eel's has made me notice that they only eat what is necessary, my gymnothorax dovii used to love sardines but then he stopped eating sardines when I added mackerel he went nuts for it so I believe that they will eat what is necessary for their health

Last edited:

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, it's been a month and my zebra is eating regularly, but, he mostly only eats clams and shrimp and i don't want shrimp to be the dominant part of his diet, i do feed the shrimp whole with head and shell but I am still bothered by "vit b1 deficiency" and i can't seem to find mussel's, I've also tried fish since he lives with a fangtooth but he only comes out for shrimp or clam's so I wanted to add some more variety if it's necessary

I do wonder, you said that crabs can get them out of their hunger strike? So is there a vitamin that exists in crabs in which it can fulfill/remove any deficiencies in zebra eel's? Or is it just because the crab is live? Keeping 3 eel's has made me notice that they only eat what is necessary, my gymnothorax dovii used to love sardines but then he stopped eating sardines when I added mackerel he went nuts for it so I believe that they will eat what is necessary for their health
Do you have the ability to use vitamins to soak food in? I do that with my eels. Mine eat silversides (my fang tooth, pebble will sometimes) squid, shrimp, clams and salmon. Mine will not touch mussels at all!

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have the ability to use vitamins to soak food in? I do that with my eels. Mine eat silversides (my fang tooth, pebble will sometimes) squid, shrimp, clams and salmon. Mine will not touch mussels at all!
I do have a multivitamin solution which I use with my hikari small sized pellets to inject it to my whole mackerel's stomach to feed my tessalata eel but neither is my gymnothorax dovii or gymnomoraena zebra big enough to feed them whole fish, my zebra isn't interested in fish either and sadly salmon isn't readily available here neither have I ever seen one, i am against the idea of soaking food in a vitamin solution because almost just most of it will just wash off in the water hence raising nutrient's (it would be nice if you have microalgae to suck it all up) still didn't get them yet though, i am searching for squid currently since it isn't the season right now and I've run out of it hope I find some Lol

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a multivitamin solution which I use with my hikari small sized pellets to inject it to my whole mackerel's stomach to feed my tessalata eel but neither is my gymnothorax dovii or gymnomoraena zebra big enough to feed them whole fish, my zebra isn't interested in fish either and sadly salmon isn't readily available here neither have I ever seen one, i am against the idea of soaking food in a vitamin solution because almost just most of it will just wash off in the water hence raising nutrient's (it would be nice if you have microalgae to suck it all up) still didn't get them yet though, i am searching for squid currently since it isn't the season right now and I've run out of it hope I find some Lol

I agree, soaking food in vitamins isn't very useful, as it rinses out into the water so fast.

While you probably can't get this, here is what I use for vitamin B1 and E supplementation:

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for a bit of a thread hijack, but I think it fits well with the OP question, and I haven't found much info online.

Does anyone feed crayfish/crawdads to eels? I know some fresh water fish and ghost shrimp are commonly used as food since they don't bring in marine parasites, but have found no mention of crawdads.

I ask because I'm struggling to find whole crustations in my area for my snowflake eel. It eats well on seafood counter foods, but I'd like to find a source of food that contains the organ meats as well. So far oysters are the only thing I can get regularly, and that is one thing the eel doesn't seem to care for.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for a bit of a thread hijack, but I think it fits well with the OP question, and I haven't found much info online.

Does anyone feed crayfish/crawdads to eels? I know some fresh water fish and ghost shrimp are commonly used as food since they don't bring in marine parasites, but have found no mention of crawdads.

I ask because I'm struggling to find whole crustations in my area for my snowflake eel. It eats well on seafood counter foods, but I'd like to find a source of food that contains the organ meats as well. So far oysters are the only thing I can get regularly, and that is one thing the eel doesn't seem to care for.

Crayfish do seem to have relatively high levels of thiaminase. They are also kind of messy to feed,

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A

According to the information I've collected as Jay hemdal said they are high in thiaminase and is quite messy, unless you use 5 micron filter socks, your zebra moray will make the whole tank foggy just crushing the crawfish or just any type of shellfish, the only things I would recommend to feed are in what case my eel what's currently which are clam's and shrimp aswell as squid if yours eat's it, whole shrimp with head and everything, not the cleaned out one's, let shrimp/crayfish not be the dominant part of its diet and you will be good to go

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 62 74.7%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back