Shibby's 24 Nano

shibbyplustax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After much time preparing, i finally have my first saltwater tank in the cycling stage so i figured id start a thread to show how it progresses.
Current equipment: jbj nanocube 24,
D120 full spectrum led light,
Aquac remora skimmer with maxijet 900 pump, 265 gph return pump,
Tunze nanostream 6015
Jbj nano glo refugium light,
150 w heater.

As of now i have 20 lbs of real reef rock and 5 lbs of live rock.
Ammonia is at .25 as of now but i only set it up yesterday with the 5 lbs of live rock and added the 20 of real reef rock and some sand today.

Livestock plan:
two small clowns,
One firefish,
One or two small gobies,
Various easy to keep beginner corals,
Hermit crabs, snails and other cuc (any reef safe recommendations?)
Does this sound like a safe bio load?

I am still unsure of how i want to set up the back filter chambers. I was thinking of this- just chemipure elite in first chamber (should i add right from the beginning?) skimmer and a small container of chaeto with nanoglo light on back and heater and return pump in the final chamber. Does this sound like a good set up? Any other recommendations?

Here are a few pics of how things are right now. I plan on adding another rock or two to finish up the aquascaping. Sorry its cloudy, just added sand about an hour ago.

Just whites
anu6egu6.jpg

quty2ajy.jpg

7u7y8a7a.jpg

Just blues
ju3udery.jpg

yherype3.jpg

azybyjeg.jpg

Whites and blues
a4e2e2ys.jpg

sedyta9a.jpg

u5a2ane8.jpg

Let me know what you think.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great start and I like the rock!

Laker32

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a JBJ Nano 24 Led (stock) that I set up Jan.18 2013. I run a Intank media basket in chamber 1 with filter floss top rack, Matrix carbon/ phosban middle rack and Purigen bottom rack. I had nothing in chamber 2 until I needed a chiller and now I have the chiller return pump in chamber 2. Heater in chamber 3, along with the stock return pump. I started with 25 lbs of cured live rock and my tank cycled quicker then expected. I slowly added the clean up crew 2 weeks in. I mainly have a zoa/paly tank and everything is super healthy and rapidly growing. I also have a few LPS, but no SPS. I cycled my tank with the stock carbon that came with the new tank.
image.jpg

image.jpg

OP
OP
S

shibbyplustax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea intank media basket is next on my list of things to buy. I wasn't planning on using aby filter media though, will a skimmer be good enough for that? I plan on running chemipure elite and making a small refugium for chaeto.

Last edited:

Laker32

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't run a skimmer. When you say filter media. Are you talking about the filter floss to catch all the crap?

Laker32

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to run the filter floss on the top rack to catch the left over food and other crap that you don't want to get trapped in your filter area. I buy a roll made by Lifeguard for about 7 dollars. It's blue/white and i cut it to size. I change it twice a week.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

shibbyplustax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little update for now as a few things have changed. I have added an intank media basket and am currently running filter floss on the top tray and chemipure elite on the bottom tray. I plan on setting up a small chaeto fuge for the middle tray. My tank finished cycling pretty quick and i have since added a fire fish, a clown fish and some coral frags. I will try and get some pictures with a good camera and show you all the corals i have. Nothing too crazy yet as i wanted to purchase a controller of some sort first. I just picked up an apex jr the other day so i might finally feel comfortable to start getting some nicer corals. Please excuse the crappy iphone pics. In addition I am not really sure how to take good aquarium pictures haha.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378419263.613128.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378419299.545603.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378419310.174503.jpg

OP
OP
S

shibbyplustax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is kind of torn apart right now because of a recent zoa eating nudi outbreak but on the bright side i can get some better (crappy iphone) pics of some its inhabitants.
yellow wrasse:
asa9y3us.jpg

Clownfish that wouldn't sit still
y4umena9.jpg

Cocoworm with goniopora
bury8y3y.jpg
bu5e9ury.jpg

Some zoas:
3a9a2eje.jpg
ube6e4ej.jpg
2y3u2aga.jpg
3a5y9e6a.jpg

Id?:
u9a6etat.jpg

Orange mushroom
agumura4.jpg

I will post some better pics when i get around to it.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.1%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 50 25.1%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 47 23.6%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back