Shift livestock from old tank to new tank questions?

MarkS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I am upgrading my tank to a new bigger one soon. My existing tank is ok the fish and coral are doing well.
I have Aiptasia in my tank but I am not planning on using my current rock going to go for a new Aqua scape style.
For my new tank I need about an extra 300L of water. Is it better to start clean with new water and mature then introduce my livestock, or use 300L of my existing water as well to kick start?
TY

Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The good Bacteria is on your rocks, so leaving all the old rocks you WILL have to cycle all over again.

Reef Psychology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50/50 is what I usually do. I also seed bio media for a month before the switch and use bottled bacteria like Stability to ease the transfer. If you don’t use your old rock expect “new tank syndrome“ down the road. And if you have SPS it’s highly recommended to have a considerable amount of seeded bio media/rock to insure bio diversity. I’d also seed pods if possibl.

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't use any water from the old tank. If you are using dry rock you will need to cycle your tank first. You can skip the cycle or ugly phase by buying live rock from KP Aquatics. Use all KP rocks or dry rocks with KP base rocks. KP rocks don't have aptasia

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is bacteria in the water too. However, there also could be apitasia spores (or whatever they are called) floating around. If you move the filters, then you are all set.

There are lot of things that you can move from tank to tank that will help - even the film algaes and bacteria on your pumps and protein skimmer bodies can multiply quickly. A bit of sand can seed.

I understand that you kinda want a fresh start, but you will get aiptasia again if you don't get something to eat them.

Why not takes some of your better rocks, put them in a bin/tub in the dark with heat and pump and cook them for a while? You can google rock cooking and it has noting to do with heat. These could be ready for your new tank in a few months.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back