Shift livestock from old tank to new tank questions?

MarkS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I am upgrading my tank to a new bigger one soon. My existing tank is ok the fish and coral are doing well.
I have Aiptasia in my tank but I am not planning on using my current rock going to go for a new Aqua scape style.
For my new tank I need about an extra 300L of water. Is it better to start clean with new water and mature then introduce my livestock, or use 300L of my existing water as well to kick start?
TY

robotrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you aren't using your rock (and aren't using proper live rock) then you will be cycling again.

The water is of very little value unless you're concerned about chemistry differences between new water and current (which you can verify with tests). If you have bio media available (without aiptasia) in your current tank I'd recommend finding a place to put it in the new tank to accelerate the cycle of the new tank. Either way you're looking at what is effectively a brand new tank and so will see all of the ugly phases and chemistry wonkiness you do with any new tank.

You can reuse sand, but it will need to be washed so much you may as well get new unless it's a budget constraint.

NatReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I am upgrading my tank to a new bigger one soon. My existing tank is ok the fish and coral are doing well.
I have Aiptasia in my tank but I am not planning on using my current rock going to go for a new Aqua scape style.
For my new tank I need about an extra 300L of water. Is it better to start clean with new water and mature then introduce my livestock, or use 300L of my existing water as well to kick start?
TY
Yeah just like robot says , if you “ start “ clean and completely your going to have to cycle it first again + the ugly phase again and maybe some other small issue .definitely reuse your stones and water from you current tank and maybe even your sand . If you have that

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t reuse the sand because thats where the most gunk stored but I would reuse the same water just because you wont need to acclimate the fish and you wont have to make so much water again.
If you don't use the rock make sure you put it in your sump or you will have cycle your tank again and go through the ugly stuff.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 92 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back