The Trash Can (IM Nuvo 20) - Slow Go

robotrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there!

It's been several years since I've had a go at saltwater and now that I own a house I'm going to give it a proper shot with a Nuvo 20 I've had in a box for the last two years. Up to this point I've collected most of the gear I'll be using and built the stand.

Equipment:
Tank
: IM Nuvo 20
Lighting: Reefi Uno 2.0 Pro (using default LPS profile w/ slightly increased whites during the day)
Filtration/AIO chamber equipment:
  • (Left) filter floss, live rock rubble
  • (Left center) Skimmer (nuvoskim dc nano, not running currently, still debating removal)
  • (Center) Sicce 1.5 return, ATO/WC probes (still working these out)
  • (Right center) 100w Helio PTC heater
  • (Right) filter sock, bag of chemipure, WC pump, Helio temp probe
Flow: 2x koralia nanos on a smart wave controller (may rethink this)
ATO/WC: Autoaqua smart awc, IM Hydrofill 5G Reservoir

Livestock:
Planned (fish):
  • Wrasse - dwarf, either pink-streaked or possum
Added (fish):
  • Black Storm Clown pair (9/29/23)
Added (inverts):
  • 6x blue leg hermits
  • 4x Astrea snails
  • 2x nassarius snails
  • 1x sand sifting star
  • 1x Skunk Cleaner Shrimp (9/29/23)
  • 4x Rock Flower Nems (9/29/23)
  • 14x Dwarf Cerith (10/21/23)
  • 2x Dwarf Trochus (10/21/23)
  • 1x Halloween Hermit Crab
  • (10/21/23)
  • 2x Zebra Turbo Snail
  • (10/21/23)
  • 1x Emerald/Ruby Mithrax Crab
  • (10/21/23)
Added (coral):
  • Purple/Green Splatter Hammer (9/10/23)

• Hairy Green Mushroom Colony w/ Armor of God Zoa Colony (9/16/23)
  • Florida Ricordea (9/16/23)
  • Orange Bam Bam Zoas (9/16/23)

• Candy Cane (9/22/23)
  • Pink Hammer (9/22/23)

• CC 21 Tails Torch (9/27/23)
  • JF Nuclear Trumpet (9/27/23)
  • JF Vegas Strip Zoas (9/27/23)
  • JF butt Monkey Zoas (9/27/23)
  • JF Daisy Dukes Palys (9/27/23)
  • JF Crazy Lady Palys (9/27/23)
  • TCK Insane Hellfire Torch (9/27/23)
  • TCK Peach Favia (9/27/23)
  • TCK Baby's Breath Favia (9/27/23)

FTS 9/27/23:

FTS92723.png

STS92723.png

FTS 11/05/23:

FTS110523.png

OG Info:

Here are some current/in progress shots of the tank/stand. The stand is still a WIP as I add more equipment!

20230826_203544.jpg

Custom designed and laser cut acrylic panels to house switches and equipment mounted inside of a custom wood frame I laid out.

20230831_160003.jpg

Retro fitted this side cabinet section into a stand I made a couple years ago (my woodworking has gotten quite a bit better I'm finding!)

20230905_130247.jpg

Finalized and mounted the side panel with both of the frames for gear. I designed this such that I can laser new designs to slot into the frames should my equipment needs change. For instance, I picked up a newer heater with a controller and intend to have that mounted between the switches below with a new hole to route the wires through.

20230905_130258.jpg

Current heater controller location, plan is to move this to the outside for easy reference, waiting for more acrylic to come in.

20230821_101012.jpg

Full shot to show custom lighting mount solution. Should ideally work for any future lighting plans as well.

20230905_130309.jpg

The tank as it stands now. Starting to get the uglies, more on the live rock than the caribsea dry live which is interesting. I've been lazy getting the door off of the stand and stained to match the rest but it doesn't hurt anything!

Hitchhikers so far:
  • Several bristle worms. I got a red light to watch at night to get an idea of size/count. There seems to be 1 or 2 largeish worms and a handful of tiny ones. They don't appear to be fireworms so I am not concerned at the moment.
  • Ball anenome - at least I think! It's very small, moved under an overhanging rock which, combined with the notable "balls", leads me to believe that's the correct ID.
  • TONS of feather worms. I feel like every day over the last couple weeks more and more have come out. It's great.

Yesterday - 9/8 (about 2 weeks after inital setup), I did the day 1 dose of microbacter start xlm and quickcycl, measured about 1.2-1.5 Ammonia 2 hours later. Will measure again this evening. 2 week delay was simply researching the best way to get cycled these days, it's been a while since I've looked into it!

Last edited:
OP
OP
robotrash

robotrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More stand work this evening:

20230908_201929.jpg

20230908_201937.jpg

Added divider and right shelf for the ATO reservoir (IM Hydrofill 5G).

Left side will be 3 shelves at about 6" tall each. Might go a bit taller on the bottom to support Hanna kits on their sides.

Got the Hydrofill secondhand and the front of the acrylic fill drawer was coming apart from the sides at the top. Got some Weld-on 4 to re-bond the front panel, a tomorrow job.

OP
OP
robotrash

robotrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia tested a nice flat zero (confirmed by my not colorblind wife)
Nitrites sitting at zero
Nitrates at about 2

Checking out a new shop that popped up in town recently, if they have CUC I may pick some up to show support!

OP
OP
robotrash

robotrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a 20% WC then checked out the new shop in town. They did indeed have some good looking CUC members.

I grabbed:

6x blue leg hermits
4x Astrea snails
2x nassarius snails
1x sand sifting star (by recommendation of the owner, we will see how it does)

They also had a ton of beautiful euphyillia. I had a hammer about 10 years ago in my first tank that did quite well so I picked up a double head of purple/green splatter they had to see how I fare with coral these days. Popped him down on to the sand bed for now as that has relatively moderate flow and I can keep the par a bit lower for light acclimation. Will probably move it to mid level at some point if needed.

IMG_20230910_175045.jpg

CUC drip acclimating (went back and forth on just floating but decided to play it safe)

20230910_204213.jpg

Hammer in its place, it has already extended a bit more than this. (Camera filter on the way soon)

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there!

It's been several years since I've had a go at saltwater and now that I own a house I'm going to give it a proper shot with a Nuvo 20 I've had in a box for the last two years. Up to this point I've collected most of the gear I'll be using and built the stand.

Equipment:
Tank
: IM Nuvo 20
Lighting: Chinese black box from 2+ years ago, waiting for my Reefi Uno 2.0 Pro to come in
Filtration/AIO chamber equipment:
  • (Left) filter floss, live rock rubble
  • (Left center) Skimmer (nuvoskim, may take out eventually, not running during cycle anyway)
  • (Center) Sicce 1.5 return, ATO/WC probes (still working these out)
  • (Right center) 100w Helio PTC heater
  • (Right) filter sock (removed for bacter dosing and cycle), bag of chemipure (removed for bacter dosing and cycle), WC pump, Helio temp probe
Flow: 2x koralia nanos on a smart wave controller (may rethink this)
ATO/WC: Autoaqua smart awc, IM Hydrofill 5G Reservoir

Livestock:
Planned (fish):
  • Clown pair - haven't decided on morph, won't be crazy expensive, will probably let the wife pick, I just love their personalities
  • Goby - still working out species, would like something unusual
Added (fish):
  • None
Planned (inverts):
  • Emerald crab (might be too much for this size tank)
  • Shrimp - still deciding, might go with a classic cleaner
Added (inverts):
  • 6x blue leg hermits
  • 4x Astrea snails
  • 2x nassarius snails
  • 1x sand sifting star
Planned (coral):
  • Mixed reef, no hard plans at the moment. Going to start easy at the sand bed and work my way up to more difficult stuff on the tops of the arches. Still shopping!
Added (coral):
  • Purple/Green Splatter Hammer
Here are some current/in progress shots of the tank/stand. The stand is still a WIP as I add more equipment!

20230826_203544.jpg

Custom designed and laser cut acrylic panels to house switches and equipment mounted inside of a custom wood frame I laid out.

20230831_160003.jpg

Retro fitted this side cabinet section into a stand I made a couple years ago (my woodworking has gotten quite a bit better I'm finding!)

20230905_130247.jpg

Finalized and mounted the side panel with both of the frames for gear. I designed this such that I can laser new designs to slot into the frames should my equipment needs change. For instance, I picked up a newer heater with a controller and intend to have that mounted between the switches below with a new hole to route the wires through.

20230905_130258.jpg

Current heater controller location, plan is to move this to the outside for easy reference, waiting for more acrylic to come in.

20230821_101012.jpg

Full shot to show custom lighting mount solution. Should ideally work for any future lighting plans as well.

20230905_130309.jpg

The tank as it stands now. Starting to get the uglies, more on the live rock than the caribsea dry live which is interesting. I've been lazy getting the door off of the stand and stained to match the rest but it doesn't hurt anything!

Hitchhikers so far:
  • Several bristle worms. I got a red light to watch at night to get an idea of size/count. There seems to be 1 or 2 largeish worms and a handful of tiny ones. They don't appear to be fireworms so I am not concerned at the moment.
  • Ball anenome - at least I think! It's very small, moved under an overhanging rock which, combined with the notable "balls", leads me to believe that's the correct ID.
  • TONS of feather worms. I feel like every day over the last couple weeks more and more have come out. It's great.

Yesterday - 9/8 (about 2 weeks after inital setup), I did the day 1 dose of microbacter start xlm and quickcycl, measured about 1.2-1.5 Ammonia 2 hours later. Will measure again this evening. 2 week delay was simply researching the best way to get cycled these days, it's been a while since I've looked into it!
Stand looks great!

OP
OP
robotrash

robotrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all! My final stand update. I got the rest of the layout in and some of my stuff organized:

20230910_203643.jpg

I also used weld-on 4 to fix the drawer for the ATO reservoir. Worked really well, made me more interested in having a go at diy acrylic tanks some time. Just needs a rinse and wipe down before I install it and get the ATO pump moved over to the reservoir.

OP
OP
robotrash

robotrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great, you really pay attention to the detail. I would move the hammer off the sand bed as sand can irritate it and make it unhappy. I love hammers as well. Happy reefing!

The details are my favorite part, planning, the equipment, the diy, etc. Honestly once it's established is the hardest time for me because I want to keep messing with it. I'm in a position now where I can convert that energy into planning my larger tank.

Also, thanks for the tip! I'll get it moved up tonight.

OP
OP
robotrash

robotrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moved the hammer up to a rock. Didn't glue it down, waiting for some bone cutters to come in so I can trim the enormous plug. Tried to pop it off the frag plug entirely but there's a TON of glue on this one.

Tried my hand at some macro stuff with my dslr. Still need to figure out the editing (and get a tripod).

20230912015621_IMG_0182.JPG

OP
OP
robotrash

robotrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Removed the frag from the plug and attempted to glue it to a rock. Really made a mess of things and fingers crossed the frag lives. I won't go into details but let's just say I am covered in glue. Need to get a thicker brand than what I'm using now for the next time.

Hoping it opens up and is happy again tomorrow.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Removed the frag from the plug and attempted to glue it to a rock. Really made a mess of things and fingers crossed the frag lives. I won't go into details but let's just say I am covered in glue. Need to get a thicker brand than what I'm using now for the next time.

Hoping it opens up and is happy again tomorrow.
How's it look today?

OP
OP
robotrash

robotrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my Reefi Uno 2.0 Pro in today! It's so much smaller than my black box!

20230914_185335.jpg

It is about 10" above the water's surface and I am using the default LPS profile with some slight white tweaks since I like just a touch of white:

Uno2Settings.jpg

PAR meter is on the "soon to acquire" list but for now I'll be monitoring the Hammer's extension as a gauge.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my Reefi Uno 2.0 Pro in today! It's so much smaller than my black box!

20230914_185335.jpg

It is about 10" above the water's surface and I am using the default LPS profile with some slight white tweaks since I like just a touch of white:

Uno2Settings.jpg

PAR meter is on the "soon to acquire" list but for now I'll be monitoring the Hammer's extension as a gauge.
Light looks great on your tank!

OP
OP
robotrash

robotrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did some coral shopping this weekend.

Came back with a hairy green mushroom colony with some random zoas on the side. This rock replaces the old center rock which was some dry rock anyway. I also like that this one is shorter which opens up the front of the tank a bit.

Also grabbed a nice looking Ricordea, couldn't tell you the name and a small frag of some orange bam bam zoas that haven't quite opened yet. Here's some shots:

GreenHairyMushrooms.png

GreenHairyMushroomsZoom.png

GreenHairyMushroomMacro.png

Ricordea.png

RicordeaStack.png

FTS 9/17/23:
20230916_195453.png

Plan on ordering a filter for these shots... RAW editing doesn't seem to be very reliant for FTS so far for me.

Also added some pods that my LFS cultivates for some bio-diversity and the occasional coral snack. Feeding with phyto every couple of days.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 143 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back