Shim for 180 gal. tank

  • Thread starter Thread starter JMM744
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

JMM744

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 25, 2016
Messages
1,095
Reaction score
993
Location
Lima, Ohio
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have a bit of shim work for my 6 ft. 180. I have plywood and stock shims under the area now but wondered if they will work long term? Any other suggestions would be welcomed . Picture is a bit dark but you can see what I have to deal with. Stand is all 2 by 4 with oak ply skin.
Thank you, Jim

9D050243-AF14-4288-A965-0BC17D0288A1.jpeg
 
As Waters stated use composite shims and just to be safe space them very close together. Get a piece of oak baseboard, finish with some color stain and attach to the stand. Will give the stand a nice clean look and you will never know there are shims under there. Nice looking stand by the way.
 
+1 to switching to composite shims, and I would also relocate them to be directly under the bearing points of the stand (vertical supports).
 
I save the plastic key cards from hotels and use them as shims. Old credit cards work too. You can cut them into strips and stack as required.
 
Thank you for the recommendations! Much appreciated. Stand was done by the woodworker who does all my custom bases for my shop. Trim is in the works once I get the tank wet and settled.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 6.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 12.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new