Shipment from wwc, do I drip acclimate the corals?

ItsAName

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a shipment coming from world wide coral tomorrow morning. Do I float the coral or drip aclimate them all?

wkscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most online retailers require that you follow their specific guidelines for acclimation or they won't honor their "live" guarantee. I have never ordered from them but it doesn't appear that their instructions are on their website. Call them in the morning.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless the water is seriously nasty, I always Drip acclimate, dip, then add to aquarium, or hopefully a quarantine system.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually do the same thing but it got me thinking.....coral (specifically Acros) are so sensitive to ALK swings. Unless you know the ALK level of the water that the coral is coming from, why doesn't that trigger any problems with the new coral (such as RTN or STN)?

OP
OP
ItsAName

ItsAName

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for the advice. I ended up floating them, quick dip and then putting them in. So far so good :) It's also what the company recommended.

Most online retailers require that you follow their specific guidelines for acclimation or they won't honor their "live" guarantee. I have never ordered from them but it doesn't appear that their instructions are on their website. Call them in the morning.

wkscott, asking the company was so simple and obvious it was genius :) I don't know why I didn't think of that first.

codyvlc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually do the same thing but it got me thinking.....coral (specifically Acros) are so sensitive to ALK swings. Unless you know the ALK level of the water that the coral is coming from, why doesn't that trigger any problems with the new coral (such as RTN or STN)?
I'm getting a number of different corals from WWC on Wednesday, one of which is my first acro. I haven't been dosing any calcium or alk. I'll definitely drip, but should I run out and get some 2 part etc? Thank you!

Jl330

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am semi careful with corals, I float for a half hour or so, then remove some water from the bag and add equal amount of tank water then float 15 minutes to a half hour, depending on what I'm doing. Repeat 2-3 times as needed.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting a number of different corals from WWC on Wednesday, one of which is my first acro. I haven't been dosing any calcium or alk. I'll definitely drip, but should I run out and get some 2 part etc? Thank you!
I’d wait it’s not like adding 1 acro is going to deplete your alk and calc so fast ..
add your corals and do regular testing and WC ... when doing a WC doesn’t replenish your alk and calcium then it’s time to start thinking about dosing.. imo !

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually float, clip it to the side and over an hour add a little bit of water to the bag. Just trying to slowly match salinity and Alk. Dip it and then place it. I've had 0 issues doing it this way for the past 10 years. Fish on the other hand I will drip acclimate.

A Toadstool Leather

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You cant go wrong with drip acclimation. Every since I started doing it I noticed my new corals would open up faster. What kind if corals did you get? If they're softies you can just float them.

newfishkeeper88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good information. I’m getting a shipment tomorrow and plan on doing the drip. Can’t wait for my new zoas

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back