- Joined
- Sep 22, 2026
- Messages
- 78
- Reaction score
- 84
- What state or country do you live in
- Other International
Just a warning to everyone.
I've received a shipment of 3 fish from a store ~500km away. Not that far, shipping time less then 24h.
Fish looked healthy in the bags, so I opened them and measured the salinity:
Foxface - 35ppt
Zebrassoma - 15ppt
Centropyge - 15ppt
My system - 33ppt
I measured a few times suspecting there was something wrong with my Hanna Salinity tester. Nothing wrong with it.
Apparently the LFS keeps salinity of 15ppt in 1 of their systems.
I've let them know (no response yet).
I know some people just add a few cups of aquarium water to the bag during acclimation. That would put the salinity nowhere near the one from my tank.
Measure, measure, measure... everything you can.
I've received a shipment of 3 fish from a store ~500km away. Not that far, shipping time less then 24h.
Fish looked healthy in the bags, so I opened them and measured the salinity:
Foxface - 35ppt
Zebrassoma - 15ppt
Centropyge - 15ppt
My system - 33ppt
I measured a few times suspecting there was something wrong with my Hanna Salinity tester. Nothing wrong with it.
Apparently the LFS keeps salinity of 15ppt in 1 of their systems.
I've let them know (no response yet).
I know some people just add a few cups of aquarium water to the bag during acclimation. That would put the salinity nowhere near the one from my tank.
Measure, measure, measure... everything you can.
