Shipping colonies

  • Thread starter Thread starter H@rry
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Joined
Aug 4, 2007
Messages
3,434
Reaction score
575
Location
Huntsville, AL
What state or country do you live in
Alabama
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are people shipping colonies? I've shipped plenty of frags but have no experience shipping larger corals. I want to be able to ship acros colonies from baseball size to softball size and not have them arrive as a bag of frags. Seems like I heard about putting shredded plastic bag material in the bag to cushion the coral. Also, won't the shipping charges for as much water as it would take be more than the value of the corals?
 
Also, has anyone had any experience shipping or receiving colonies wrapped in wet paper towels with no water in the bag? I've read that the mucus can contaminate shipping water while it won't contaminate the air in the bag with the paper towel. It would also save on shipping costs.
 
I recently received a tranship order of acro colonies from Jakarta, all of them were shipped fully submerged in water and about a tbsp of carbon in the bag.
 
H@rry, I received a nice size colony years ago and the shipper had mounted the frag to a Styrofoam square and suspended the frag upside down in the bag. The Styrofoam was cut to be a little larger than the frag itself (so a little larger than a softball for you). This allowed the sides of the bag to stay away from the frag. The bag was full of water. Mine arrived in perfect shape. I hope that helps some.
 
H@rry, I received a nice size colony years ago and the shipper had mounted the frag to a Styrofoam square and suspended the frag upside down in the bag. The Styrofoam was cut to be a little larger than the frag itself (so a little larger than a softball for you). This allowed the sides of the bag to stay away from the frag. The bag was full of water. Mine arrived in perfect shape. I hope that helps some.
thats how my LFS does it when you buy colonies of acro
 
H@rry, I received a nice size colony years ago and the shipper had mounted the frag to a Styrofoam square and suspended the frag upside down in the bag. The Styrofoam was cut to be a little larger than the frag itself (so a little larger than a softball for you). This allowed the sides of the bag to stay away from the frag. The bag was full of water. Mine arrived in perfect shape. I hope that helps some.
This is how we shipped larger colonies when I worked at a wholesale shop years ago.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new