Shipping Costs

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good eye...WILL Coral Typically survive TWO DAY shipping with insulation and heat pack etc?

In this case I’d be selling Frag packs like hardy Zoas (eagle eyes, Fire and Ice, etc) GSP, Armor of God, firework clove polyps. They aren’t high dollar so knowing folks want to bundle or buy high end which I don’t have much off I opted for the bundle attempt.
To be clear - soft corals absolutely survive 2-3 days shipping. It is my preferred shipping option for any soft corals; overnight is a huge waste of money for these animals.

You use a 72 hour heat pack, so they stay warm the whole time. And winter is the best time for this -- its relatively easy to keep animals warm, but harder to keep them cool. (As a side note its funny how bad some shippers are at temp control. I've received corals in the summer that were packed with a *heat pack* instead of an ice pack. Needless to say they were all quite dead!)

I sometimes even order hard corals with 2 day shipping and have never had any major problems. I don't ship hard corals 2 day though, because there will be enough DOAs the refunds become a pain.

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second that. Did you ever figure it out?
Step 1. Call FedEx and negotiate a lower rate. Call repeatedly until you get one.
Step 2. Use Shipstation, which uses your now lowered rate, handles all shipping emails, and makes refunds for late shipments a piece of cake. (Some shipping services do not allow refunds, choose carefully)

I can ship overnight across country for about $47-$53, depending on the location. These same rates are available to anyone who asks for them.

Simply__J

@MoriReef45
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Step 1. Call FedEx and negotiate a lower rate. Call repeatedly until you get one.
Step 2. Use Shipstation, which uses your now lowered rate, handles all shipping emails, and makes refunds for late shipments a piece of cake. (Some shipping services do not allow refunds, choose carefully)

I can ship overnight across country for about $47-$53, depending on the location. These same rates are available to anyone who asks for them.
Thanks. Lastly, I'm curious to know what sizes/weight did you get these prices for as to make sure I can emulate them as best as possible.

sunnysidecoral

Sunnyside Corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pay between 30 and 40 to actually book the shipment and get the label. by the time i buy 1500' 5" polyroll and boxes at 5.50 a pop plus other supplies tape, bubble wrap, heat cool pack, pee cups. that puts me over my $45 flat rate fee but under $50 a box
Who do you ship through?

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
still looking for shipping advice because like others said I'm getting estimates well over 100$ for overnight FedEx live animals. it's the only way I'm looking to ship animals so 2-3 day shipping doesn't mean much.

any actual advise from anyone shipping frags?

SpSDrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
still looking for shipping advice because like others said I'm getting estimates well over 100$ for overnight FedEx live animals. it's the only way I'm looking to ship animals so 2-3 day shipping doesn't mean much.

any actual advise from anyone shipping frags?
I use UPS with ship pirate. The most expensive box I've sent so far was $70 and it was from OH to CA (12x12x10" box at 12lbs)

I shipped the other week from OH to MI (12x12x10" box at 10 lbs and it was only $26

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use UPS with ship pirate. The most expensive box I've sent so far was $70 and it was from OH to CA (12x12x10" box at 12lbs)

I shipped the other week from OH to MI (12x12x10" box at 10 lbs and it was only $26
Is that for overnight? that's good information, and great size and weight reference, thank you! I will check that out.

SpSDrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Is that for overnight? that's good information, and great size and weight reference, thank you! I will check that out.
Yes. Their rates are pretty reasonable IMO.

I always send in larger boxes with more water than what you really have to but Its worth the extra cost in the long run.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back